Tree Studies - Deciduous Conifers

Inspired by another thread, this is a collection of trees in the wild to help us learn about tree species.

If a field trip to a certain species is out of the question, but you could use a little help from nature to inform your bonsai design and styling decisions, this is the place. You can search tree species using Ctrl+F.

If you’d like to add to the collection, please add a post with your picture(s) of the tree and the name of the species (include the latin if you can) so others can find it. Information like location, terrain (forest, coastal…), environment, age and size can be valuable if you know them.

Other categories: Pines, Junipers, Deciduous, Elongating, Broadleafed Evergreens, Tropicals, Succulents.

Happy studying!

This is a teenager of a dawn redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) with only about 45-50 years of living in a garden in the most western central part of Germany.
What fascinates me though is the distinct veins you can make out that form hollows in the trunk where they intersect.

Not sure how closely related these are to the coastal redwood Mirai frequently features. The biggest difference is certainly: This sheds all of its leaves in fall - or rather throws them off, including some of the finer branches (or larger ones depending on the storms we get). I have yet to have success in getting one of its cuttings to root. Maybe I can update this through the seasons in the future.

1 Like