Soil for shimpaku

I got a shimpaku form a online store and looking to get it to grow fast.Its in the bonsai material for the store…is it best to leave it there or go more organic.also show I go with a much larger pot maybe 3 gallon

1 Like

It looks like it might be in a reasonably sized bonsai pot for the tree. However, it is a bit hard to tell from this angle. If you want to grow it on to become a bigger tree then a larger pot and a more organic soil may be in order. However, it looks like something that is ready to style into a more refined bonsai. Why don’t you post pictures from all 4 faces of the pot taken with the camera level and pointed at the trunk little above where the branch to the right diverges from the main trunk line. That would enable us to provide some design feedback if you want it. If it is not draining well you will want to repot in the spring - I like to use my deciduous mix of 3 akadama, 1 pumice, 1 lava. However, junipers are grown in just about every bonsai soil.

1 Like

I’m looking to make it larger.

1 Like

Then go for a bigger pot, just don’t over pot it.
Feed it heavily, and don’t prune it, let it grow.
A more organic mix also helps, pine bark or coco peat.

1 Like

Put it in the ground. “Field growing” will give you the fastest development :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Alternatively, you can put it into an Anderson flat and put that on the ground. That will let roots escape. Once or twice a year you lift the flat to essentially prune the roots. If you can’t find a flat you can build a shallow box.

3 Likes

Or if you want to keep the roots contained you could use an air pot. junipers simply love them.

1 Like

Thanks everyone…guess I’m gonna go with large colender and more organic mix.kind of use alittle of everything and see what that does then maybe in the ground next year.i got 8 cutting off it before photo hopefully the same next year

1 Like