Pot size ? to change or not

I collected this Yamadori Mt. Hemlock 21 years ago and have had it in the pot for approximately two years. The tree seems to be doing quite well, but I am wondering if the pot should be changed to a larger deeper pot. Any suggestions??? Thanks

4 Likes

Hi @anderson.ppc
I think the tree will probably answer your question the next time you do a repot. Aestheticallly, it looks fine and Im sure some would argue you could go smaller. After 20 years Im guessing you are in refinement? What is making you think it should be in a bigger pot?

1 Like

For sure, you could go smaller !

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Never really considered going smaller, interesting idea. I really didn’t have any reasoning for going to a different pot other than to give it more growing space.

2 Likes

I would reduce the pot size.

2 Likes

I like the current pot to give the impression of an entire landscape. To enhance that I would perhaps add a low rock or two and a low accent plant or two. No it is not a traditional bonsai at that point, but I think it will make a very nice and enjoyable image. On the other hand, I agree with the other posters that a smaller pot would be more traditional.

1 Like

I would agree smaller diameter but I prefer a bit deeper pots.

1 Like