Pot size ? to change or not

I collected this Yamadori Mt. Hemlock 21 years ago and have had it in the pot for approximately two years. The tree seems to be doing quite well, but I am wondering if the pot should be changed to a larger deeper pot. Any suggestions??? Thanks

5 Likes

Hi @anderson.ppc
I think the tree will probably answer your question the next time you do a repot. Aestheticallly, it looks fine and Im sure some would argue you could go smaller. After 20 years Im guessing you are in refinement? What is making you think it should be in a bigger pot?

1 Like

For sure, you could go smaller !

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Never really considered going smaller, interesting idea. I really didn’t have any reasoning for going to a different pot other than to give it more growing space.

2 Likes

I would reduce the pot size.

2 Likes

I like the current pot to give the impression of an entire landscape. To enhance that I would perhaps add a low rock or two and a low accent plant or two. No it is not a traditional bonsai at that point, but I think it will make a very nice and enjoyable image. On the other hand, I agree with the other posters that a smaller pot would be more traditional.

2 Likes

I would agree smaller diameter but I prefer a bit deeper pots.

1 Like

Just saw the post. Sorry, always behind on forum info. Keep the pot. Perfect. See where you were coming from with “landscape”. Beautiful tree!!

1 Like

Wonderful Tree.
As for the pot size, what’s your plan for the tree?
Ever consider showing it?
Yes, many may say to reduce the size but maybe for your lifestyle and health of the tree that pot size is fine. I say there is no need to change the size of the pot if you are just going to enjoy its beauty in your garden. Don’t rush to change if you have no reason to. Maybe a few years from now you do want to show it, then you can decide on the right pot for a showing.
Again, great Mt. Hemlock.

1 Like