Podocarpus macrophyllus berry removal

Hey y’all. Have a question about my yew. Did Initial design work last year From a nursery stock and it’s exploding with growth. My question is should I be removing the beginning of the berries that it produces to help direct the energy?
Was wanting to put it into a pot that was much smaller than the black Nursery pot it’s in now but I might have missed that window I’m afraid. Any experience with these and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a general rule of thumb regarding fruiting bodies. If the tree is in development then I remove them as the plant places a lot of energy into their formation. If left on they can slow the development of the trunk and branches because resources in a small container are limited. I do not apply this rule to flowers, I let them bloom and remove when they expire to prevent seeding, as this I feel also is a considerable investment of energy for the plant. If yours is in a nursery container and it is growing well then you could elect to leave it be without slowing its development. I usually treat my growing stock with neglect and let them do their thing flowers and fruit the entire growing season. I then come back to them in the fall for structural work. Hope this helps. This for me applies to development and not necessarily a refined tree. I like to see fruiting bodies on some of my trees.

1 Like

I never finished wiring mine from the initial work from nursery stock. Wanted to get it in a pot over winter but didn’t want to have all the work I did on it and repot in the same season. So I decided to wait. Still has a long way to go…

1 Like