Planting position

I just remembered what I wanted to ask Ryan on my last Q&A.

He mentioned that if tree is leaning to one side typical bonsai knowledge is telling you that you need to counter the offset by planting the tree not close to the center of the pot (and I’ve been told that several times).

Now to achieve the asymmetry you should be planting it close to the center and that will emphasis the asymmetry…

Is that approach valid or does it depend on the tree deign?

What are your experience with planting position?

Cheers,
Michal

1 Like

I cannot answer your specific question but what I would say is that within the limitations that the root ball places on you, do what you like. Play with it and put it getting away from the put if the centre of gravity keeps it still stable or on the edge opposite the direction it is leaning to. But basically do whatever you like most. I think myself personally my instinct would be to not put it in the centre but if it looks good then… is it a round pot?

1 Like

I followed Ryans idea and made a Bonsai from a xmas tree. First i wanted to put it in a bigger pot right of the middle (how i allways did)but then Ryan came in my mind and i took a smaller semicascade pot and put the tree towards the left following its movement.
To me it looks much better and more dramatic!

2 Likes

The tree is wired just structurally.
I will fine wire it if it respondes well with the new groth…

5 Likes

I like it. I wonder however if you considered making a jin out of the straight lower left branch. I think it may improve the result and also (too late now) tilting it the other as it appears that the longer branches are now on the lower side.

1 Like

Maybe you are right!it looks better if i cover the first 2 branches on the picture!
Have to take it on the turntable again!
The first branch did not hold its movement cause i used aluminum wire

1 Like

I have checked the tree again,in reality the tree apears totaly diferent than on the picture.i cant take away the first branch.i think i have to rewire it with copper to give the first branch and the top more movement again.

2 Likes

It is true that pictures very often don’t really show the tree as it appears when you’re in front of it…

1 Like

I like the tree, good work so far! But somethings not quite right with how it’s planted in the pot and I have identified two factors that I think will help you. Right now the tree almost looks as if it’s going to fall out of the pot, there is no visual stability. If you do a quick google image search for “slant bonsai” you will see that almost always slant bonsai are planted with their base on the opposite side of the pot than the movement. This gives the tree a sense of strength and stability. So you have the right idea with planting the tree off center, but I think that if you plant the tree to the far right instead next time you repot you will be much happier with the image and your tree will look stronger and more stable like it is really gripping the ground.

My second critique is that I don’t think the pot is ideal for the tree. The tree has more of a feminine nature with softer curves and graceful movement, so I think it would probably look better in a pot that is slightly wider and slightly more shallow. Really nice start though, can’t wait to see how this tree progresses!

1 Like

Like i wrote above i first wanted to plant the tree in the oposite in a bigger pot.Ryan also took his Xmas tree onto the "wrong"site to let i apear more dramatic it is counerbalanced throug the root that follows the line of force.

2 Likes

You wrote that originally you wanted to plant it in the middle. But yea for sure I see what you’re saying, but let’s analyze this a little deeper. Ryan’s noble fir has a strong surface root that anchors it to the far side of the pot, and is visible almost up the the lip of the far side of the pot. Yours does not, unless you have something like that buried under the soil at the moment. Also his base is very very slightly off center, yours is in the left 1/3 of the pot. Ryan planted his feminine tree in a round pot with soft curves, you have planted your femenine tree in a deep square pot. Go back and look at his Noble fir and compare the nuances of it with your planting. Your tree looks like it could fall over any minute, Ryan’s looks incredibly stable and grounded. Don’t take my critique in a negative way, I think you’ve done a great job with it so far. Just my two cents!

1 Like

I like your and Rafis ideas/critique! It makes me questionig my work,see it from a different view!
I had fun with that little left over Xmas tree and who has the option to chose from so many pots like Ryan?

3 Likes

Hahaha, yea my pot game is pretty weak right now!

1 Like