Pinus tabuliformis

Chinese Red Pine- (not Japanese red pine)
Hi does anyone have any experience with this species? I am trying to achieve back budding and just wondering if best strategy is to wait for candles to harden off and cut back leaving a few needles <May 28th -June 1st. ( I live in UK) I am thinking This would be a long two needle pine
Thank You

2 Likes

Hi @Rolly.Mirai,
Even Japanese Black Pine is hard to get 2 flushes out in 1 season in the U.K. I don’t know Chinese Red Pine, but I would treat it as single flush unless it is a ridiculously healthy, in which case, give multi flush technique a go.

1 Like

Thanks very much for you reply @AndyK

Looking at the description of it on wikapedia, it is a tree from north china and Mongolia. Most of the multi flush pines are costal and more tropical… so i would guess at a single flush type. As to it being a long needle or short needle then if nobody can say for sure then you will find out in this first summer. Sounds like you are in development so you want maximum growth. So if it were me going “blind”. If you let it candle out, extend and harden off. Cutting back in june you should incorage buds to pop from all over. If you measure the length of this years needles at this point, then in the autumn you can remeasure them and if they have grown then you will know for sure. Having just watched the latest pine growth managment ryan was talking about what talperion farms method for development which is removing needles and not tip buds to get big back budding responses… i can feel a forum question in the brewing…

2 Likes

Thanks for you advise and time @Robin

1 Like