Pinus elliottii Engelm / Slash Pine

Hi Guys,
Through much research I’m finding it rather difficult to find any info on whether a slash pine ( Pinus elliottii Engelm) is a single or a multi flush tree. Has anybody had any experience with these trees?

1 Like

Info I found said that it’s related to a loblolly pine which is a long needle multi-flush. Not sure if that means that the slash is lnmf as well.

Just found this from a PDF from Virginia Tech. Do a search on “slash pine flush” on Google. It was the first item on my list.

“Juvenile trees past the seedling stage make from
two to four height-growth flushes each year. The first
begins when the winter bud elongates to become the
spring shoot. Spring shoot growth begins slowly in
February and gradually increases until it reaches a
mean daily increment of about 7 mm (0.28 in> be-
tween mid-March and mid-April. Growth of this first
shoot is completed by early June. First summer buds
form in April, while the spring shoot is still growing,
and second summer shoots are formed by the end of
May Winter buds are present in July and height
growth is slow thereafter, although some growth may
occur as late as October. The spring shoot makes up
62 percent and the summer shoots 38 percent of the
annual height increment.”

1 Like

Also scroll down a bit on this thread

1 Like

Thank you Bentley. I did find some articles in my search that said that there are some variants in relationship to Loblolly but then other articles contradicted this. It gets to be frustrating that there is really not much info on pine trees of the southeastern part of the states as far as bonsai is concerned.

1 Like

Yup, not much at all. I’m surrounded by loblolly. I’m gonna collect a couple soon and start the experiments. I’m not super into pines, but I am into natives and that’s about as native as it gets around here. :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I am also surrounded by loblolly ( Pinus taeda) and long leaf pines ( Pinus palustris ).
I had a loblolly that started to grow last spring in the drainage ditch in front of my house. It was growing right above and to the side of the culvert pipe that protrudes out from the sides of my driveway. I dug it up today and planted it into a 12" pond basket. I was able to get under it with a hand shovel and the tree with the whole root ball came right up intro my hands. I left all the native soil intact with the roots. I filled in around the root ball, inside the pond basket, with a 2 to 1 mixture of pumas and DE. It is now residing in my green house for lots of TLC.

1 Like