Live Oak Bonsai Inspiration Photos - City Park, New Orleans

Live Oak Style? Start out strong. Start thinking “broom style”. Let the branches snake out in all directions forming a canopy. Width of the style should be around twice the height. Let some of the branches approach, and even hit the ground, before going back up to continue the canopy.

Want to drive a woman crazy? Agree to go for a walk so she can pour out all her woes, but spend the time being inspired by trees. What can I say? It was the golden hour of light and I’m walking through some of the most beautiful oaks you can find. I listened to everything she had to say. I gave words of advice. I took some nice photos. Listened some more. Took more photos. Yes! I said I’m listening! Troublesome romantic history of … OH! Look at THAT tree!

Again, if the mods want me to upload all these photos to this site, I’ll be happy to do so.

6 Likes

@BillsBayou, thanks for posting these pictures! I love mature Live Oaks, and my Dad and I have actually gotten some to make it through the winters up here in North Mississippi (zone 7). If the winter gets too cold, younger Live Oaks will actually drop their leaves like other oaks, and then regrow them in the spring (if the tree is established enough). My Live Oak is only 4 years in the ground, but my Dad’s is 15 years in the ground, and as tall as his house. Until he passed, it was a nice father-and-son yearly tradition for us to prune his oak in late January/early February. He said I was the only person he trusted to prune his tree :smile: I promised him that I would keep pruning it for as long as I was around. I’m also growing saplings from the acorns of his Live Oak, and I’m going to bonsai a couple of them for sure!

1 Like

Wow! Wonderful story.

If you get live oak to take as a bonsai, I need to see it. Everyone I talk to says it cannot be done. Prove them wrong.

2 Likes

root spread on tree i saw in new orleans this past january.

4 Likes

tree has its own ecosystem living on it!

4 Likes

Going off topic slightly. I’ve been reading a lot of James Lee Burke novels recently, very hooked. He talks constantly of live oaks and to a UK viewer your pics have helped bring those stories alive. Thank you.

2 Likes

I grew up on the coast an hour south of Galveston/Houston. That is a fern that only grows on the bark of old live oaks. It’s called a Resurrection Fern since it shrivels, dries out and looks dead till it gets wet and the humidity and warmth increase.

1 Like

It’s awesome to see this. I drive beneath live oak canopies on my commute. There is a certain romance to rain-slick streets in the morning light with the resurrection fern sparkling in the dappled sunlight.

2 Likes

JLB is one of my longtime favorites!! Long live Clete!!

1 Like