Japanese Black Pine - browning tips

I’m not sure if I’m ready to tackle a JBP. I bought this one last week. It had some problem branches that I removed - All were coming from the same internode at the top. I kept what I felt was the most interesting branch.

Last couple of days I’ve noticed the tips going brown. I looked for borers and didn’t see any. I’II holding back on watering - though I don’t feel like I’m over watering. The first day of winter was 2 days ago here in Sydney. From my research, I was under the impression I could prune things back. It’s not that cold here 8-9c at it’s coldest. Did I mess up and kill the tree by pruning it? I took about 50% off.

1 Like

It might be just too much watering. On the second picture it looks quite wet.
Pines do prefer drier conditions and less frequent watering.
Tips turning yellow-brown indicates wet roots which looks like it to me in your case.

1 Like

Foliage removal combined with cooler, less sunny winter conditions will result in much less need for water. You may only need to water once every 2 - 3 weeks depending upon how much wind they see.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. I haven’t watered in a week and it looks to have stablized… fingers crossed.

1 Like

Probabilmente è un problema di eccessiva umidità nel vaso. Tienilo più asciutto e vedi come reagiscono gli aghi.

Hi tim,as always says Ryan,in the pot you have to maintain the right balance between H2O and O2…tilt the pot to one side,this will help you balance water and oxigen. Good luck!