Immediate after care for collected Ponderosa Pine

I collected this Ponderosa (I believe that’s what it is) from a dirt berm next to a utility pole in Ruidoso, NM almost 24hrs ago. I know I should not bare root it and that I need to protect it from overwatering, full sun, freezing temps, and high wind. Right now it’s in the soil it was growing in when I found it. Should I leave it in the pot as is? Or should I pull it from the pot keeping the root ball intact and put new potting soil in the bottom and along the sides of the pot for better drainage? This is my first collected tree so I’m at a bit of a loss on what exactly my next course of action should be.

1 Like

Nice find! Here is a NM link that may help with identification.
http://www.treenm.com/nm-tree-species/ponderosa-pine/
If you are having any of the brutal cold weather that is hitting north America you should protect the tree from freezing. Water and oxygen are important for all, but especially for a collected tree. Putting the tree into a grow box or Anderson planter box with pumice surrounding the native soil should ensure the oxygen and water balance is good for root growth. Did you have to cut a significant tap root? Pine love their roots, and transplant hormone may help it through the stress of being cut and moved. You need to secure the tree so no movement will inhibit root growth in whatever container you choose. Tie downs to either wooden or plastic container and move as little as possible. The container must have good drainage to prevent roots exposure to standing water.

Good find, good luck, keep up updated! Do not get discouraged.
:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Thank you for the reply! I will look into the grow box, pumice, and hormone. I did have to cut a tap root. I’ll also update.

1 Like

watch this video.
https://live.bonsaimirai.com/library/video/post-collection-potting

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you. Not sure how I missed that video when I was combing through the library.

1 Like

Looks like a pinyon from here. Two needles per fascicle? If so, it’s Pinus edulis

1 Like

So I got the pine into a grow box finally! The original I built was WAY to big so I made due rather than build a new box. Still not entirely sure what species it is. Possibly Pinus Edulis as Brad suggested. It does have two needles per fascicle but a few have three. The trunk ended up having some good movement buried in the soil! Thanks for all help!

2 Likes

Nice box! And it’s definitely a pinyon, the bluish juvenile foliage on that tiny branch is a dead giveaway.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks! I will take your word for it. Now for the waiting game…

1 Like