Humidity -VS- just spraying

I have a clear plastic greenhouse that develops high humidity. Should I be spraying my plants as well? And, on a little different note, should I keep my Ficus in the high temp, high humidity? Thanks.

What’s leading you to want to spray? My ficus love both of those things, so yes.

I think that spraying is recommended after repotting to increase humidity, giving the roots time to re-establish before they handle the whole leaf transpiration/cooling task.
Ryan has also said that mature foliage should be kept dry while watering - I think because it impacts growth.
I’m not sure of the timing to switch between the two recommendations.

Yeah, but @sailor817 didn’t mention anything about repotting. My question to him was along the lines of “what are you trying to accomplish?” It’s so humid where I am that I don’t need to mist. 78% relative humidity today. In the summer it’ll get even more humid.

Spraying mature foliage reduces transpiration which would also reduce movement of resources/hormones to those areas.

1 Like

I dunno. Somehow, somewhere got it in my head that I should mist/spray my trees regularly. Your replies (and thank you very much, btw) have caused me to do a search for the information which, of course, is not there. So YAY! No misting.

2 Likes

I think the concern with misting the foliage is fungal issues, which will vary with location and species.

2 Likes

After recently buying a reptile fogger for my greenhouse it’s filled it with vapour but didn’t wet the leaves at all which surprised me and it was heavy fog in there, if I sprayed/misted the greenhouse the fogger would stop anything drying out which would dry out usually in a few hours,

Handy as it cools the greenhouse, keeps humidity up but doesn’t block up the leaves.

1 Like

Just found this clip where Ryan explains watering - love the enactment of water transpiration!

https://live.bonsaimirai.com/library/video/spring-watering

1 Like