High quality Akadama or not?

Thanks for the input! I did call them. They told me that there was nothing wrong with this akadama and that’s the way it is. He then asked where I was located and who I was working under. I told him I was learning on Ryan Neil’s Mirai Live. He then told me this was the same akadama that Ryan uses and to have Ryan tell me there was nothing wrong with it.

I think it’s time to call them back!

3 Likes

Unlikely the person even knows who Ryan is. What vendor asks an individual contesting a purchase who they’re “working under”? Ridiculous.

In addition to contacting Amazon, here’s another suggestion if they do not immediately offer a full refund when you call back: let your credit card company do the heavy lifting for you.

Tell the seller you plan to call the credit card company and contest/refuse to pay the charge because you were sent a product that you didn’t order. it arrived in a garbage bag inside a box and the seller refused to deal with it. Remain steadfast.

Did exactly that with FedEx after a package I sent “next day delivery” took 6 days to arrive. at its destination. FedEx initially refused to give me a refund citing weather and other excuses; when I said I will contest through my credit card company they immediately issued a full credit.

If the seller doesn’t offer you an immediate refund, follow through and contact your credit card company - excellent chance you will not end of paying for the junk you received and the seller will have the added headache of dealing with a 3rd party about the purchase.

Then order Akadama from a legitimate bonsai source.

4 Likes

Remember “squeaky wheel gets the grease” Just keep on them until you get your money back. :+1:t2:
“Same as Ryan uses” I call BS on that.
I would put money that Ryan sources his akadama directly from Japan.
Prices are extremely inflated here in North America.

3 Likes

I didn’t say it but I was calling BS when he said Ryan was using the same stuff. I watched a video from the library last night and in that video he said he gets his akadama from a buddy in Japan that he trained with when over there. He also told me that this was the only type of akadama that was imported. And this is from a “online bonsai store” and not amazon or etsy. You would think he wouldn’t be trying to get something over on me. I will be calling today, updates to come.

2 Likes

Ryan bought tons of stuff apparently before coming back from Japan and never ran out until last year. I think he mentioned in one stream recently that he bought his supply this year from Bonsai Tonight.

I ordered akadama from Bonsai Tonight a few years ago and it came in a usps flat rate box in a trash bag. But, I ended up with maybe a small baggie of fines after the sifting was done. Lots and lots of usable soil.

5 Likes

Yes I remember Ryan saying recently that he finally ran through the shipping container of Akadama he had used for the last many years and was resupplied by Jonus.

I will say that Akadama and Pumice can get beat up in transit. Sadly a 20# box is not treated with much care by USPS.

3 Likes

@Richard_D @MrJesseStrong

would you please detail which company this is so we can avoid them if possible?

1 Like

Oh jeez this post was forever ago. I bought a small bag off some site online. Then I tried DE for a bit. I was just trying to figure out what worked best in my climate. If it looks like a novelty bonsai site that sells 40$ procumbens nana cuttings in pots I’d suggest you look elsewhere. Ryan got this years shipment from Bonsai Tonight. I use a source who imports akadama directly from Japan. What I can say from experience is dont cheap out on soil. If your spending money on trees why risk killing them in cheap soil. With a bit of research anyone can find a good source of akadama, lave and pumice. Especially in the states! Take the time and do it right.

5 Likes

@Yugen - The company that I ordered the akadama from is Bonsai Vision.

@MrJesseStrong - Ryan must of bought all of Bonsai Tonight’s akadama, they are sold out.

3 Likes

Lol, what in the world. That’s the way it is if you want a box of crap.

This is from their About Us page:
This site is for the true bonsai enthusiast and we would appreciate any feed back on the products that we carry. Our goal is to carry those products that will enhance your bonsai experience. Let us know how we are doing. Please feel free to contact me at admin@bonsaivision.com
Jim Gollmer St. George Utah

1 Like

@Bonsai_Bentley - That’s who I talked too. I tried calling 4 times yesterday but no answer. I will try again today.

1 Like

I’d give it one more day and then just dispute the charge. Meanwhile, I tried to hate them, but I found some cool books on their site and bought a couple. :weary: Hopefully 32% of the pages aren’t just a bunch of dust in a box when it comes in. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

LOL… They seem to have a decent pot selection as well. New and used Tokoname pots and many others. :thinking:

2 Likes

I have been issued a store credit. Good job BonsaiVision!

3 Likes

That’s awesome! The books I ordered arrived as expected. No dust lol. While the experience was definitely of the “this is a small shop” variety I did get the books and they’re as described. I’m pretty happy with transaction overall. Would recommend to friends. 4 out of 5 stars. :star::star::star::star: :laughing:

2 Likes