Help with Identifying Material

Has anyone see this material before? Found it at the base of my podocarpus plantings.

1 Like

Looks like some sort of fungus.
Is there somewhere you could take it to get tested?

I think it’s a slime mold, not a fungus. I’d just remove that bark and you should be good. I’m pretty sure they are just detritivores (only eat dead stuff) anyway. Fascinating little super-organisms, worth learning more about.

1 Like

Could be a slime mold colony… Totally inocous. Gently pick it ALL up and deposit to the wild somewhere…
Florida… a little bit TOO much texture for slime mold. Is it mooving slowly? Maybe an old loofa sponge?:roll_eyes: Poke it…

2 Likes

I’ve seen this before here in Los Angeles, it is called dog vomit slime mold, or dog vomit fungus. Whenever someone (like me) replaces their lawn with natives and puts down mulch, it shows up on the mulch. It never seems to cause any harm to the plants and dries up and goes away. I will never forget the name when the landscaper told it to me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Relocate squirrels to a park
Relocate spiders out of your home
Relocate slime mold to the wild?

1 Like

When I was about 14, one spring, I watched a slime mold colony walk 15 feet along a log. Took a week. One of the defining points of my life. Ya, I poked it, split in two; and then put it all back together. Kept on moving. Then, I HAD to learn about everything… Biochemistry, Microbology, Chemistry, Medicine, Botany…
A kinder and gentler world, ya, I do my best… life is way deeper and more diverse than we credit.
One reason I bonsai. Still dont know enough about bonsai. Ya, I relocate trees to my backyard…
Haute BONSAI!

1 Like

So after reading this post I ran down a slime mold time lapse YouTube rabbit hole that started here. Good luck figuring out where that fits into by reccomended next profile youtube!!

1 Like

THATS AWSOME…
Glad to be enlightening…