Hail Mary Air Layer

Well after 9 months of eyeing this previously chopped branch of a beautiful tree in my complex. I finally decided to go ahead and give an air layer a try. It’s an awesome 12 inch ‘stump’ of a branch with strong secondary branching. Approximately 2.5 inches in diameter with great potential to create acceptable taper. It’s been calling my name for too long. So after 30 minutes of hanging precariously off the top of an indoor 3 step ladder, and everybody in my complex looking at me like I have 4 heads, I’ve done the dirty work. Now, let’s see what happens. I have nothing invested in this except 40 minutes of time, I even found the plastic pot. Although I won’t be out much if it fails, I’m praying to the bonsai Gods I see roots eventually. I tried my best to execute the air layer properly and I’m confident my technique was on point. It’s all up to Mother Nature now though, and my neighbours/landscapers to leave it alone as well, I suppose. Wish me luck! If it works I know this will be the start to a great formal upright cherry blossom tree

4 Likes

Is that a flowering Cherry tree?

1 Like

Yes it is. I have no experience with this species whatsoever. To be completely honest, I’m not even 100% sure if this was the right time to try an air layer. I had to give it a go though. For years I’ve wanted to work with a flowering cherry tree but haven’t been able to get my hands on one. This opportunity presented itself recently and after months of wrestling with the idea I decided to go for it. It would be pretty cool if it works!

1 Like

Should be a good time. The tree is re accumulating resources now. Good luck, should have a good tree if it’s successful.

2 Likes

Perfect timing just did a japanese maple yesterday meself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hah! Nice! Man, that looks like an incredible structure. I’ll put you in my prayers to the bonsai Gods. If that’s successful you’ll have a hell of piece of material to work with.

1 Like

It’s KILLING me already not knowing what’s going on in that pot! Man I hope it works…gonna be a lonnng 5 months…

1 Like

GarryFrey, how did the air layer turn out? I have a tree in my yard that has a nice sweeping curve I want to air layer this Spring. A friend told me he didn’t have any success for an entire summer in place. Any suggestions after your experience?

For the “ninja air layer” I would like to recommend tin foile (aluminum) with the outer face blacked out with a Sharpy pen. Quick and easy to apply around sphagnum moss and just a couple of wire twist to keep it in place.

AndyK, Black on the outer side of the foil? I am assuming it attracts more heat and will not let it escape, while keeping it dark inside. (?)

Yes @MikeH2O,
Iv used this on elm hedges in U.K. The black is more for camouflage than anything, but no different from black plastic, plus it is heavily shaded. Foil is good because it keeps light off the new roots, keeps moisture in, is easy to apply, and the top can be shaped into a rain funnel. I have made layers in April and come back in July to cut them off with no intervening care.

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks, Andy.

Mr Strong…Any update on your cherry air layer? Or waiting for spring?

Mine was a failure. I don’t think I eliminated all of the cambium, and probably tried slightly late in the season. I’m going to try again this year in the same spot… I used the wire technique so it created a large bulge. When it roots this year it will have a really nice flare at the root base!