Fukien tea trees - destined for mediocrity?

Does anyone know how to get Fukien tea trees to ramify? It seems to only regrow a single new branch leader, after a cut back. The result ends up being lots of long runners that just change direction, with no bifurcation. Is it destined to just be a leggy vine?

Wish I knew myself I have one that I have been working on for 3years. The thing I have found that works best is fertilizing and letting it grow until there are lots branches then cutting back after hardening off

1 Like

I find that similar to the above post, you need to let it expand mass, harden off and then prune back to just above a leaf.

1 Like

I agree with the other replies. I’ve found that letting my FT grow free outdoors all summer, then once fall sets in, I bring it in then cut back/wire because the new growth has lignified but is still bendable. It’s taken me 4-5 years but I was noticing today that I’ve finally got some nice pads forming. It will still take several more years or work, but I’m now quite hopeful.

1 Like

Great, thank you so much for the information here. I did just exactly this when I brought the tree in this year - cut back of woody growth.