Fertilizer live stream chat with Ryan...it's long FYI

Click the button below to view the chat. Ryan was live and answered questions as we went along.

Summary

Wayne: greetings from SC
Bishop: Hello everyone! Super Tuesday!
Roger: Hi Everyone from Spokane
Mel: Finally! :slight_smile:
Linda: Hi From Florida
Randy: Hello from Shawnee,KS
Scott: Same from Milwaukee
Clyde: iā€™m on
Jonathan: Hello !!
Andrew: i wonder if Ryan had a few words to stay about the situation with Juan Andrade
Maximilian: Hi from Germany!
Nate G: Hello from St. Louis
Larry: Hi from Daytona beach
Terry: hey all
Tyson: Hi everybody!
Bob: Hi from Vancouver BC
Larry: Linda, what part of Florida?
Pierre: Yo everyone from The Montreal area. Yo Rafi!
Vern: Vernā€™s on from Texas
Kenneth: Hi from Scotland
Rafi: Salut Pierre!
Terry: Rafi!
Arthur: Hey Everyone! Welcome! Be sure to press play on your player to begin the stream and set either Auto or a fixed resolution using the gear icon on the bottom right of the player. I typically have better luck with either a set 1080 or 720 stream.
Rafi: Terry?
Garry : Howdy from KC
Terry: Hi]
Randy: Hi Garry
Brian: Sup! Brian from VA
Rafi: Hey @Terry, good to see you here. Have you been a Mirai member for long?
Phil: Whats up allā€¦ Checking in from Melbourne, Australia
Garry : Hi Randy, saturday ?
Randy: Yes
Terry: yeah.
Rick : Hello from Savannah, GA
Rafi: :slight_smile:
Garry: hello from PA
Terry: PA as well, garry
Matt P: Hey @Bob, Iā€™m also in Vancouver, BC
Vern: Would it be a good idea to supplement organic fertilizers with humic acid?
Garry: @Terry what part
moon (me): Cheers from TX Tree People
moon (me): Live or Pre recorded?
Edgardo: Hello everyone, is this stream pre recorded?
Arthur: This is Pre-Recorded @moon
Leonard: Ferndale, MI here
Rafi: seems at least this section is pre-recorded
Arthur: Ryan will be answering questions Live in the chat tonight though!
Leonard: Ferndale, Michigan here!
Edgardo: sweet, thank you @Arthur
Terry: Pittsburgh, garry. You?
moon (me): i doubt he can type as fast as he can type
moon (me): lol
Garry: Lancaster
moon (me): talk
Ryan: Hey everyone!!!
Terry: hey
Garry: There he is
Rafi: Hey @Ryan.
Ryan: Our focus tonight is all about hammering down the concepts of fertilization and the best way to keep me from meandering and rambling was to dial it in with a more composed stream
moon (me): hello mr. super tuesday
Ryan: Hey Moon!
Rafi: Will you touch on alternatives to biogold? or when not to use it?
Garry : Question : If Doug Fir was potted last spring should I cut new growth as June 15, stream instructed ? Also Ponderosa ?
moon (me): haha G i love it.
Stephen: If we are not able to view the whole stream tonight, will you have a transcript of the questions/answers available along with the video, since questions will be answered on chats?
Ryan: Rafi, posted on the forum regarding Juan and his experiences. Please know we are fully in support of Juan and want to orient from a positive place and not let the negative actions of a few ignorant people reduce our behavior to that level.
Ryan: More to come on that.
Ryan: We donā€™t propose any fertilizer brands, we only discuss how we use fertilizer and its impact on development.
Rafi: Thanks @Ryan, thatā€™s great. Shocking news.
Garry: good for you Ryan Juan is a GEM
Ryan: Garry, only if you have buds to cut to and the tree is healthy. You can do that now
Rafi: I mean re Juan, not fertilizer brandsā€¦
Chris: Just heard about the Andrade situation todayā€¦sickening.
Garry : TY
Ryan: Itā€™s a bummer but Juan knows Mirai is a welcoming place fully in support of him and we are hoping to be collaborating again soon!
Kim: finally signed inā€¦ howdy from Humboldt
Ryan: believe it or not Juanā€™s experience is not the first time this has happened and YES, something needs to be done about it
Chris: Looking forward to it (Juan)
Ryan: Hey Kim!
Richard : Stream keeps stoppimg and starting
Ryan: me too Chris
Vern: Ryan
How about adding a little humic acid as a supplement?
Chris: Yes, I heard that it has happened beforeā€¦same group apparently
Ryan: Vern, you could, as long as you have nutrition in place
Ryan: BUT, if you are watering and fertilizing correctly the system will do it for youā€¦ORGANICS OR BUST
Arthur: @Richard Can you follow the troubleshooting steps below the stream and send us your information in an email?
Kim: trouble with the feed
Ryan: I just read today that the Mycelium actually trigger a chemical release in the treeā€™s cells that improve the rapidity and strength of response the plant has to issues
Chris: So here is an organic/tea bag question (maybe youā€™ll talk about it in the stream). I find that the stuff I put in the tea bags (a mix of various organics) seems to become pretty hard/compact pretty quicklyā€¦not sure how well it is breaking down. Have you experienced this
patrick: the feed is not working for me at all
Ryan: Youā€™ll see how bagging fertilizer behaves for us
Vern: Orgaincs for sure, but humic acid to help make up for slightly less that perfect balance of water/oxygen/fertilizer?
Ryan: Vern, you canā€™t make up for an imbalance of water and oxygen
Edgardo: Good evening Ryan, Iā€™m curious about good Japanese Organic Fertilizers substitutes such as good composted Chicken manure or making our own from seeds meals, bone mealā€¦ Thank you
Chris: OKā€¦I find some trees will ā€œroot upā€ into the tea bags (ficus and tridents are good at this) but other species tend not to
Ryan: YOU MUST ESTABLISH A BALANCE OF WATER AND OXYGEN TO HAVE HEALTH
Wayne: Ryan, how do you feel about water and O2? Does it need to be balanced?
Vern: OK bad choice of words. I do remember that of course. Consider me spanked by my teacher!
Ryan: Edgardo, totally possible to make your own out of raw materials. Fermented chicken poop from egg laying chickens is what you are after
Ryan: The only issue is that it breaks down to fine particles so be sure to bag it.
Ryan: Vernā€¦:wink: thatā€™s my boy
Mike: Whatā€™s up Mirai! Dealing w higher ph here in San Diego, 7.5 roughly, does this negate the treeā€™s ability to uptake the nutrients?
Kim: Love your Limber Pines
Ryan: Notice the filaments exist BETWEEN particles and not on the roots themselves. Cotton on roots is usually root aphids
JesseStrong: sorry sensei! I had to work late.
Adam: Great imagery!
Jerry : for organics that are not liquid I get a lot of beasties (animals) attaching my trees. I have to use liquid organic when used.
Richard : Sent results. Stream is unwatchable. Stops and starts continually.
Maximilian: Hello Ryan, how do I fertilize rock plantings most effectively?
Arthur: To anyone experiencing issues with the stream, please follow the troubleshooting steps below the stream. Before that, please remember to press play on the lower left of the player and set your quality via the gear icon to 1080 or 720p. If your internet connection is on the slower side please try the ā€œAutoā€ setting.
Ryan: Mike, it does. The higher the pH the lower the availability of Iron typically which expresses as a Nitrogen deficiency. Lowering the pH to neutral or slightly acidic ensures this doesnt happen
Ryan: thanks Kim
Mike: Negate prob a strong word, more like hinder. Thanks boss.
Ryan: Jerry, all good. If you have CEC sites on the soil you choose (akadama for us) they hold that nutritition
Mike: Prob gotta do a siphon system, ryan c and I discussing
Ryan: Maximillian, put the fertilizer in tea bags and use a tooth pick to pin it to the soil surface
Jerry : great. that is what happens here.in my soil mix
moon (me): my goodnessā€¦these treesā€¦wow just wow
Mark: Iā€™ve recently read that excess phosphorus can inhibit mycorrhiza at the root zone and leach into the environment causing other problems. A lot of publications now recommend 5-1-2 as a ā€œbalancedā€ fertilizer. Any thoughts on this?
Ryan: Nice Mike, siphon systems are easy once you have it set up and the math accurate
Mike: Copy that, Iā€™m sure weā€™ll pick your brain more in a bit. Thanks Ryan
Kim: Snails still eat the tea bags to get to the fertilizer
Ryan: Mark, I believe the chemical forms of high-phosphate fertilizers used in industrial farming have shown this. In organics the system is generally pretty good at creating goodness and a balance. If this werent true we wouldnā€™t see the roots occupied by so much microbial activities
Ryan: Kim, copper stripping on the foot of your bench will stop that
Kim: no bench
Ryan: post?
Ryan: block?
Kim: some on bricks or pots upsidedown
Ryan: slug bait can help, tray of beer by your tree will also be more attractive to them
Garry : Beer got my dogs drunk
Kim: My AA buddies would laugh
Davis: :expressionless:
JesseStrong: beer got me drubj
moon (me): so is the copper repels pests theory true?
JesseStrong: hah
Garry: @Moon slugs hate copper
Ryan: Perfect point to reiterate the fact that recent research also shows a literal chemical reaction to the symbiotic formation of Mycelium (microbes) and roots that aids the tree in strength and rapidity of protecting itself
JesseStrong: hey Im a friend of Bill a well!
Ryan: Moon, copper actually applies a light shockā€¦no idea how, but slugs get stung by it and hate it.
moon (me): thx
Ryan: Hey Jesse!
Kim: ;)@JesseStrong
JesseStrong: heyoooooo
Ryan: so many people think that we add ā€œlocationsā€ to increase fertilizer strength. NOT TRUE
Ryan: Location is proportional
Rafi: In the case of biogold without bags you still pile them up in specific locations instead of spreading the pellets around?
Ryan: Concentrated nutrition is important
Kim: Rotating locations each month
Ryan: We do Rafi
Ryan: with each application Kim
Ryan: Youā€™ll see;)
JesseStrong: I just pile biogold raft. works fine for me
Kim: What I ment
JesseStrong: rafi sorry
Ryan: Dont remove fertilizerā€¦let it break down
Davis: can you target certain roots with fertilizer to increase their growth?
Ryan: Davis, you can target certain areas of the container for sure
Mark: Is the locations strategy specific to the bonsai container? Would it still apply to developing a tree in organic soil in a nursery container?
Ryan: we find the greatest success applying this to nursery stock as well Mark
Garry : What about an angled slab,
Ryan: Using tea bags help us achieve this on slabs Garry
Richard : Resarted my computer. Works OK now but lost so much of the stream I;ll have to wait for the archive.
Garry : Mostly up hill ?
Ryan: Richard, thatā€™s what the archive is there for! apologies for the trouble
Mike: Water hardiness also bad in San Diego, Do you see any issues with water that is softened with potassium? In terms of nutrient uptake assuming we can adjust ph. Thanks!
Leonard: Speaking of nursery soil, have you a suggestion for improving the soil in the pot until repotting?
Mike: TDS around 300 coming out the tap
Ryan: ooh, MIke, not sure. Too much of anything isnā€™t good. Worth a try but monitor closely
Brian: Ryan, we are consistently having daytime temps in the low to mid 90ā€™s now in Tidewater VA. Should I be pulling back on fertilizer now? What is the general rule of thumb? (Iā€™m sure there are exceptions). Thx
Ryan: Leonard, we often remove the surface compacted layer to allow water to percolate. Other than that, build the strength and do a proper repot is your best bet
Mike: Roger that. Thanks!
Richard : With organic fertilizer, how do you keep the critters (rats and squirrels) from eating it.
Gordon: will you be talking about deciduous tree fertilization as well? Or is it the same?
Scott: If you are using a larger grow box and not a much smaller bonsai pot, would you still put piles equidistant between trunk and box edge or slightly closer to trunk?
Ryan: Brian, Iā€™d pull back once you cross the mid 90ā€™s
Josh: Yes, a campfire is what it looks likeā€¦lol!
JesseStrong: mm I love campingā€¦
Sam: Coming in lateā€¦maybe already answered. But why concentrated piles? Why not more spread out?
Brian: Ryan, can you touch on fertilization strategy on collected material that is still in all pumice that has a low CEC?
Kim: oast
Ryan: Richard, we deal with chipmunks and squirrels
Ryan: We use a bucket of water with seeds on top or an battery powered trap to stop this
Kim: camping on Lost Coast last weekend
Ryan: Gordon, coming up
JesseStrong: camping in BC interior last weekend
Terry: Ryan how important is this with non conifers.
Rick : Pellet rifle works better
Richard : Thanks, Iā€™ll try that.
Rick : for critters
Ryan: Scott, Iā€™d distribute the fertilizer equally and you might ā€œcheckerā€ your fertilizer piles to alternate close and far
Josh: cruel and pointless Rick
Ryan: Brian, we touch on it at the end, but fertilizing with higher quantity on collected stock in pumice aids in recovery
Leonard: Consistently using rainwater improves foliar quality as well?
JesseStrong: lol
Benjamin: how many biogold chunks are there in a tablespoon?
Ryan: Terry, VERY IMPORTANT
Samuel: Benjamin: roughly 12
Christian: ~13
Ryan: 12-15ā€¦youā€™ll see
Kim: I have been using Green Dream this year for fertilizer it has improved everything
Ryan: Nice Kim
Brian: Thanks Ryan
Wayne: what is ā€œeverythingā€ thatā€™s improved?
Kim: using about 8-12 pellets
Rafi: his bank account @kim
Kim: per location
Rafi: I mean @Wayne
Scott: @Kim, are you bagging the green dream or sprinkling loosely?
Rafi: I paid 120$ CAD for 5kg bag of biogold this spring
Samuel: Ryan, does it matter if my fertilizer is sitting on top of an area of the pot where I know from repotting that there are no roots at?
Kim: tried bagging now I am not
Seumas: does biogold have plant hormones and what kind if yes?
Edgardo: is chloride in water an issue? or by that matter high pH water affects the performance of organic fertilizers?
Kim: didnt leach well enough with tea bags
Kim: too much work for 60 trees
Ryan: Samuel, indeed this is important and appropriate. Evenly distribute the nutrition in concentrated pockets and you will facilitate even root growth
JesseStrong: ya my biogold was up there too. Ive spent years trying to cut corners and save money with my trees. Iā€™ve stopped and just give them what they need. I donā€™t drink or smoke so my trees get the money now lol
Ryan: Bio gold has hormones tied into the decomposition of organic content. Beyond that nobody knows
Sam: Why in concentrated piles? Why not spread out? already answered?
Rafi: I feel that in the bags they remain moist for longer and thus keep microbial activity more active. Without bags, each time I went to water the pellets were more dryā€¦
JesseStrong: a few times sam
Scott: @ Kim, are you placing the green dream in concentrated piles or evenly distributed? I ask b/c I am using it to evenly distributed. thanks
Kim: piles
Danny: Is it better to place it on the soil or in the little baskets?
Ryan: Sam, increasing concentrated pockets of nutrition allows the roots to access and avoid nutrition and salt content
moon (me): look at that stump back thereā€¦dude
Kim: it consentrates nutrients to an area
moon (me): and the flowing fall over wowow
Ryan: as long as we alternate pile locations we can give more nutrition in an area to adhere to the CEC sites and be made available while also decreasing salt accumulation over the entire container
Ryan: You canā€™t get the CEC sites filled up with scattered fertilizer applications but to fill them up across the container youā€™d burn the roots
Samuel: Since the fertilizer kills the moss it sits on, does it make sense to clear the top dressing and spahgnum from the area underneath the fertilizer, so that it sits directly on the bonsai soil?
Kim: @ryan could you punch small holes in bags for better percolation?
Ryan: Danny, on the soil covered by the baskets or push the baskets into the soil till it touches
Kim: Tried baskets, left lumps of fertilizer 2 months later
Sam: Interesting. Thanks
Ryan: Samuel, not necessary and any dead moss grows back quickly. The moss is an important part of the entire system
Ryan: Kim, you couldā€¦youā€™ll see what good microbial activity will do to the bags coming up
Scott: I know someone who uses organza bags with great success, and can color code per quantity.
Ryan: Soil contact with bag or fertilizer MUST happen
Garry : Wow heā€™s fast
Davis: :expressionless:
moon (me): my word
Kim: must take forever in Ryans garden to fill all those bags
Sujata: Hi Ryan. Does the same formula apply to names and shohin bonsai too.
Chris: have you found that a particular brand or source of the tea bags works bestā€¦
Sujata: mames
david: Have you addressed liquid organic fertilizer application methods yet?
Leonard: Ryan, Are you saying that a regular application of Osmacote will not generate the microbial activity?
Ryan: Sujata, we dive into shohin fertilization coming up
Roger: My tea bags donā€™t seem to decompose. Is that a problem?
Ryan: David, we donā€™t. Itā€™s a lot more straight forward watering it following label recommendations for strength and frequency but you can up frequency if you wish to be more aggressive, or back off to refine
Rafi: mine neither
JesseStrong: lol that tree almost made me spit my food up haha
Davis: itā€™s so cool :expressionless:
Kim: i have been to the garden it is worth the trip
Rick : Im still a complete noob. But in one of the ther videos Ive been watching he says cheapest paper tea bags you can find are best If I remember correctly
JesseStrong: if onlyā€¦
Ryan: Leonard, Iā€™m not saying it wonā€™t because you will see Mycelium on pines with some chemical feeds, but the system we are establishing of increasing immunity, releasing humic acid as a stimulant and tracking health of microbial activity via decomposition of the break down enable us to do bonsai better
Ryan: roger, that is a problem
Ryan: Rick, cheaper and thinner the better
Leonard: So decomp is the activity component?
Wayne: iā€™m going to be about 8 hours from mirai in a few weeks, but i donā€™t think i can come up with the time to make that trip. iā€™d love to look around the garden sometime though.
Ryan: So when you guys donā€™t see fertilizer decoposing and if you donā€™t see the tea bag breaking down that is a direct discussion of the microbial activity or lack thereof.
Ray: i notice some trees have shredded moss and others do not. why?
Ryan: Wayne, weā€™d love to have you
moon (me): Gnight tree people. The small humans call me. Continue on with your ā€œlive plant sculptureā€ endeavors. Cya on the forum.
Davis: night moon
Haney: good night
JesseStrong: later moon
Seumas: later moon
Ryan: Ray, we top dress everything when it is repotted and it usually forms moss. We had an interesting experience with one odd batch of red lava that simply wonā€™t turn to moss and that is what you are seeing lacking top dressing. I still havenā€™t figured out why because other lava facllitates moss fine
Wayne: iā€™ll be splitting time between spokane WA and St Maries ID. i think the scheduleā€™s pretty full tho.
Ryan: bye moon!
Ray: thanks
JesseStrong: woaaahhhhhhhh
Kenneth: Do you think bleached vs unbleached tebags matter?
JesseStrong: kidding me mannnn?
Larry: Hey Ryan, Iā€™m sorry if you already addressed this but do you have recommendations for frequency of fertilizer here in Hawaii?
Edgardo: Any tips to Inoculate the soil with good microbes and bacteria?
Kim: That tree is work intensive
Ryan: Larry, depends on what you are trying to accomplish
Kim: A buttload of pinching
JesseStrong: sensei youā€™re killing me. these trees are insane
Larry: Some trees in development and some are beginning to move towards refinement.
Ryan: Edgardoā€¦best innoculant Iā€™ve found is Dr. Earth Life as the first fertilizer to apply after repotting or when I need to stimulate microbial activity
Roger: Iā€™m using Daiso tea bags, they say ā€˜Hard Typeā€™. I wonder if thatā€™s a problem.
Ryan: kennethā€¦not sure
Ryan: Mirai strong Jesse
Edgardo: Cool Ryan, Thanks
Ryan: Larry, development means higher quantity/location and more frequentlyā€¦every 4 weeks. We back off for refinement
Kenneth: Iā€™m going to buy some and see if they break down any fatser
Mark: What are your thoughts of using compost tea to innoculate the soil? Iā€™ve used it to good effect in my veggie garden.
JesseStrong: the future.
Ryan: Roger, Iā€™d guess so. Those are designed to last and we want the cheap ones so they decompose.
Larry: Thanks Ryan, so not much of a difference being that weā€™re in a different climate? Iā€™m still trying to get the hang of the difference in education.
Larry: *information
Ryan: Mark, compost tea is AWESOME! If you have it it can be a great innoculant
Marsha: magnificent redwood Ryan!
Ryan: Larry, being in Hawaii doesnā€™t change the way Nitrogen solubility behaves and also doesnā€™t change microbial activity and necessity
Chris: that redwood is unbelievable.
Ryan: Thanks Marsha!
Larry: I see, thank you!
Ryan: My pleasure Larry
Rick : yes it was!! was that a pond cypress to our right of the reswood?
Ryan: Indeed Rick. We have a lot of them now
Kim: it was on one of last years stream
Scott: Do you ever vary the fertilizer to get a different NPK proportion to accomplish different results?
Ryan: Different one Kim
Kim: oh
Ryan: You havenā€™t seen that one on a stream yet but its coming;)
JesseStrong: lol this guyā€¦teasibn
Kim: :V
Ryan: Scott, I will use Dr. Earth Life to innoculate with microbes but I lean heavily on a good solid pelletized organic feed with balanced nutrition and feel great with that
Ryan: As long as it has all the essential elements the tree needs, both macro and micro the tree will never get tired of it.
Ryan: Interestingly enough, just using good whole organic ingredients, which is what quality organic brands use, all elements will be available
Ryan: MAPLE AND DECIDUOUS FOLKS
Ryan: LISTEN UP!!!
Maximilian: OK!!!
JesseStrong: oosss
Rick : Donā€™t mean to jack chat but are Pond Cypress as sought after as Bald Cypress Ive found a bunch of very nice Pond Cypress right off the Interstate here near Savannah GA. wasnā€™t sure if they were as good as Bald Cypress to collect
Kim: Dang I have at least 40 species
Danny: 10-4
Ryan: fine ramification is a product of timing, quantity, and understanding technique
Ryan: Rick, Pond cypress are just as cool if you are asking me
Rick : yes thank you
Rafi: looking this tree
Mike: Yoda, you are, ryan.
JesseStrong: look at those pipes,ā€¦which ways the beach???
Ryan: Study I have
Leonard: Does consistently using rainwater improve foliar quality as well?
Danny: Ryan, did you inoculate this tree with Dr Earth after the placement on the stone?
Ryan: Leonard, assuming there isnā€™t a massive amount of pollution, rain water is amazing
Ryan: We collect 3000 gallons that we supplement watering with periodically
Ryan: danny, I didnā€™t with this one but did with others
Danny: thanks
Leonard: Is am or pm timing of the rainwater use applicable?
Wayne: i love the gradation on that pot
Ryan: not really Leonard
Wayne: maybe gradients the word iā€™m looking for
Ryan: Wayne, Ron Lang baby
Vern: Some of the trees look like they have long fiber sphagnum moss on the surface. Is it or is it chopped?
Ryan: Vern, if we need to hold soil on angled surfaces we use some longer moss, but the top dressing is ground up to be finer
Chris: what species is that decid tree? I donā€™t recognize it
Ryan: Flowering pear
JesseStrong: jjjeeezzzzzzzz
Chris: ok, i see it now
Ryan: DECIDOUS- we let all stored energy run out and pinched to control its distribution. Once the growth had hardened we started fertilizing
Ryan: Even on refined conifers, we will hold off on early spring fertilization to maintain refinement
Jerry : all my deciduous trees proved that point this year. No feeding until after push and trim worked very well.
Ryan: Nice Jerry!
Ryan: We followed Peter Warrenā€™s recommendations on the PBM Japanese Maple and the results were stunning!
JesseStrong: hes a genuis
JesseStrong: and so so humble
Ryan: bonsai junkie;)
JesseStrong: hahaha no sh&
Davis: :wink:
Ryan: the trees always bring you back down to earthā€¦learned over time that if you haveā€™t failed recently its only a matter of time
JesseStrong: so true.
Wayne: ryan, whenā€™s a good time to approach graft a heafily FERTILIZED (see what I did there?) jbp?
Ryan: picking up what you put down Wayne:) You want to wait till the sap flow is at its lowest point or approach grafting pines is almost impossible due to the sap
Ryan: If youā€™re veneer graftingā€¦fall. If you are approach graftingā€¦colder the better and then protect after you place the graft
Wayne: iā€™ll have to look up veneer grafting
Ryan: bud grafting
Ryan: scion grafting
Wayne: gotcha
Ryan: whichever one feels bestā€¦generic name for grafting on a shoot without a root system attached
Ryan: approach graft means it still has roots attached
Adam: Gotta run. As always, another stellar presentation of valuable information! Thanks Ryan and Mirai Team
Ryan: Our pleasure Adam
JesseStrong: takereasy
Ryan: thanks for the support!
Wayne: this particular jbp needs to be DRASTICALLY shortened beyond what backbudding can be realistically expected to do. iā€™m a little leery of my ability to bud graft on the trunk
Ryan: Approach graft it
Wayne: my thoughts exactly. just wondered about the timing of it. i think theres a stream on it, but ive got a little time to find that stream it sounds like
Ryan: the stream is on a juniper done in the spring. For a pine approach graft you need to do so when it is colder
Wayne: sorry to derail conversation. back to your regularly scheduled programmingā€¦
Danny: Ryan, you need to post the nuances of each bonsai subject in the Forum! Just let it all flowā€¦
Ryan: no worries;)
JesseStrong: no problem hey
Ryan: Danny, got something far bigger and better in the hopper
Danny: Nice!
Nissan: For collected species in recovery ā€“ what are some signs you would look for to determine if a light application would help?
Ryan: presence of growth is the most obviousā€¦but if you collect a solid root system and it doesnā€™t bare root or break apart, you have carte blanch to fertilize
Mel: Yay, the garden!
Graham: sound quality is awesome
Nissan: Ah I see, thank you. Most of my collected have poor root systems so Iā€™ve been supplementing with foliar misting.
JesseStrong: this weekend I collected a couple pines from the interior of BC that were in straight clay. I was iffy transplanting them with the native clay but know the microbes are importantā€¦I just added as much new soil as I could to the pot planted the tree with the native soil and hope I did the right thingā€¦
Kim: Ryan are you streaming on an elm anytime soon?
Ryan: Good Idea Nissanā€¦until it starts growing, if in doubt, foliar feed is safe and effective particularly on junipers
Ryan: Jesse, sounds like a good educated approach you took
Ryan: Kim, we are shooting feature content on elm pruning and styling this week
Kim: :V
JesseStrong: cool. I just needed a second opinion. Ive watched the collecting and repotting vids a dozen times over
Ryan: nice!
Danny: Yes!
JesseStrong: my wife isnā€™t a stoked on my studying lol
Wayne: howā€™s fertilizer compete with water uptake?
Kim: never gets above 85 here
Wayne: in the heat
Nissan: Is foliar feeding referring to foliar fertilization? Its not an area I know much about.
Ryan: Wayne, fertilizer behaves like a salt when it accumulates
david: Have you heard that fertilization can make the branches more flexible?
Wayne: gotcha
Ryan: because of this it can create concentrations in the soil that cause water to stay in soil and be more difficult to be taken up by the tree due to the concentration gradiant. Remember water moves from higher concentration to lower concentration. If water concentration in soil is lower than salt water can actually reverse flow out of the tree in extreme conditions
Ryan: Nissan, yes, wetting the foliage with a liquid fertilizerā€¦good when aiding a collected tree in recovery when its roots are not yet established
Ryan: David, when you create healthy robust vascular tissue, which fertilizer aids in, it will be far more flexible
Wayne: is that a seiju?
Ryan: indeed it is
Ryan: an epic Seiju
Davis: totally irrelevant, but is an appointment necessary to visit the nursery?
Wayne: styled by DB in TX (I think?)
Kim: looks like mine
Ryan: Davis, indeed. Email colton@bonsaimirai.com or info@bonsaimirai.com to schedule
Davis: cool, thanks!
Ryan: correct Wayne
Rick : Iā€™m glad you guys show you are human Like the rest of us and do have trouble with trees to
Ryan: Rick, we fail all the time
Ryan: we will show more failures this summer
Vern: Dumb question but who is DB?
Ryan: gotta turn lemons into lemonade
Ryan: Dale Brock
Mike: You never lose. Win or you learn, eh coach?
Tyson: sweet pom trunk.
Ryan: thatā€™s right Mike
Vern: Was a dumb question. Should have recognized my bud Dale - sorry Dale
Ryan: Tyson, that is the stock we did the pomegranate stream with. Got 7 more that are just as good
Ryan: Notice the shohin Kadsura behind me from the shohin repotting stream?
Tyson: I really love those ones!
Ryan: me too
JesseStrong: sure do lol
Rick : BTW Ryan this is my 1st time as a tier3 member and only been a tier 2 member for a month Iā€™m glad my first time here I actually get to chat and meet you via Chat. I love what you guys are doing with me being a emerging bud in this thing called Bonsai
Nathan: Where are you guys getting your paper teabags? All Iā€™ve been able to find around here are fabric
Wayne: amazon
Kim: Amazon
Nathan: ahh, thx
Ryan: Rick, LOVE it man! Welcome and so glad you chose Mirai Live to help you accumulate your knowledge. We are working hard to create streams like this that thoroughly cover the Fundamentals of bonsai so you can build from there
Ryan: Very much appreciate the support!
Ryan: Amazon
Wayne: get that man some scissors!
Rick : Hey found you on Youtube and love your way of taking and breaking it down so we can understand it.
Ryan: They were covered with pine pitch from de-candling work last weekend with Pine 3 class
Ryan: the paper kept sticking
Edgardo: ThatĀ“s a cute little pot
Ryan: Byron Myrick from Mississippi
Ryan: Tell him Mirai sent ya;)
Kim: You sure have an extensive potter knowledge
Ryan: Lots of trees means you need lots of pots, haha
Vern: Excellent stream my friend. Always a pleasure.
Ryan: plus, I love all aspects of bonsai and pots are a big one
Leonard: Outstanding teaching lesson!
Ryan: Thank you guys!!!
Danny: Thatā€™s All Folksā€¦ Thank You Ryan and the Mirai team.
Ryan: We will keep building
Gordon: This was a fantastic stream. 5 pages of notes. Thank you.
Wayne: thanks ryan!
Mel: Thanks Team
Rafi: Thanks!
Garry : GREAT INFO , thanks team
Kim: Thanks for sharing on this stream
Graham: great stream ā€¦ thanks team
Edgardo: Good night Mirai
Ryan: AWESOME stuff Mirai Live community, Love you guys!!!
Marsha: Thank u!
Roger: Thanks, great stream
Seumas: thanks team!
Rick : Night all
Randy: Great info
Ryan: Until next time!!!
david: Thank you.
Sujata: Thanks. Superb stream
Ryan: Thanks for the support!!!
Roger: So long and thanks for all the fish.
Garry : Q& A ?

4 Likes