Experimenting with a new overwintering technique

A friend of mine designs custom backpacks and tactical gear, him and I came up with a simple insulation bag I can use to “heel in” my trees without actually having to bury them in the ground. I filled the bottom with mulch, set my trees in and surrounded the pots with more mulch. The idea was that this would allow me have more control over the amount of protection I gave the trees, especially being in Minnesota where the weather can fluctuate a lot this time of year. This is just our prototype, if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve on it or if it’s even worth making them at all I’m all ears!

2 Likes

Looks like a good solution for healing in. Are you planning on leaving them on the ground?

The other benefit to grouping your trees together is for wind protection. You won’t get that if the trees are separated, but maybe that’s not as big of a deal if you have other windbreaks and whatnot.

1 Like

I was planning on leaving them on the ground underneath my covered patio. I figured if we could make bags big enough to put two trees in that’s just less bags we have to make, the wind protection is just a nice bonus!

1 Like

If you have bench tops which can be removed, then stand them on edge (supported by rebar driven into the ground). The trees can then be put in front of the bench top, which will protect them from wind. They also get full sun this way, and you can check weekly to be sure the root balls are “moist”.
FYI…
Flex

1 Like

I’m also in Minnesota and I like the solution you’ve come up with. I’ve resorted to putting mine in my garage. I just put them in Home Depot yard bags and filled them up with mulch. I’m still worried about when the cold comes next month and we barely get above zero.

1 Like