Dawn Redwood soil mix?

Cool.
One major trick on dawn redwood and bald Cyprus:
Always let current years growth elongate and harden off BEFORE trimming back. Builds larger limbs faster. (Fall trim…) Let em run…
I just this week opened my decideous storage… My Japanese larch (first spring buder) hasnt started yet…

Thank you for your advice. So are you suggesting to trim it in the Fall once its grown out and hardened off?

1 Like

Late summer. Dawn redwoods… compare to (way) above spring photo…

Can’t see the trees for the forest…

Still needs wiring. NOW at least they have limbs to wire.
(The surface plants are mini hens n chicks…volinteer.
Have a medium size coastal redwood. Real tough design, though. Real healthy here. Same treatment.1:1:1 mix.
Want a sequoia redwood; they don’t seem to do as well here, Inland Pacific NW (Dry, hot summer and cold winters).

1 Like

Hi Guys, I just re-potted mine, which for 2 years I thought was a taxodium only to discover this week, that’s it’s a Dawn. Not sure if I’m disappointed or just surprised :smiley: But I still like the tree.

I had it in pure akadama and now it’s in a smaller particle akadama with lava, pumic and even Diatomaceous earth. I would still really like to lower the overall rootball in the pot but I bit off quite a bit of the underside (wood) of the tree so I will just continue that process in two years or so.

2 Likes