Here’s a few pics of a coast redwood I collected in February 2019. Still early in development and definitely not in the right container! I have been trying to apply some Mirai concepts to. The hollow is natural, I just removed the rotten wood from it. It will probably go in this shallower, brown oval in the spring. I’d be interested to hear your feedback!
I may be a bit radical, but what do you think of cutting off the long straight trunk? I think it will be an interesting little tree with the hollowed trunk and several small trunks on top.
The base is the most interesting part so cutting off the long trunk would enhance that feature. For this tree I was hoping to get the feeling of a tall redwood so I think it stays for now. The plan would be to keep the branches close to the trunk for a narrow silhouette. I have other redwoods that lend themselves better to the compact bonsai like form.
You could extend the deadwood up the trunk which would lessen the starkness of the straight trunk
Personally I like the tall trunk. I think this lends itself more towards the natural style of this species you see here in the PNW. While this doesn’t have the trunk taper that it might in nature I think that’s ok.
No harm in playing with the existing material for a few years. If it doesn’t come together right then time to chop back to the interesting base.
I agree with Evan. Already, it is a tree that seems like a tree that has a more natural story of origin. Age, fire, wind, decay, regrowth. I would concentrate on making the top look more like a natural snapping off under load/wind.
Nice find, nice presentation. Keep it healthy and happy until you trade me for your pick of my “collection”!
Thanks for the input from everyone! I think the design will clarify a lot as the branching natures and ramifies. Too many branches at the moment of course. I feel that this tree offers a chance for a natural representation of a redwood. The base reminded me of a fire scarred hollow in the base of a mature tree with an intact trunk above. The scar at the top needs improvement but was necessary due to the drastic reduction that is inevitable after collection.