Chinese Elm oozing sap from trunk

I noticed today my Chinese Elm started oozing sap from the trunk. It looks like a horizontal “split” and its attracting ants. Is this bad? And can it be helped?! Thanks in advance.
20190811_193924|375x500

3 Likes

Interesting. Try wrapping it with some dry sphagnum moss to soak up the sap and allow it to kinda “scab” over.

1 Like

Will do. Thank you greatly.

I can’t tell from the photo, but any chance that it is “wet wood”?

I would have said someone popped that tree with a weed whacker, but the stain above the wound would be weird. I think @Nate_Andersen might be right about wet wood. Does the tree sit somewhere where it may have been hit with a tool, or was it dropped and you weren’t told?

1 Like

@Nate_Andersen I googled “wet wood” and I think you’re correct. I can’t smell a fermenting odor, but it is kind of sweet tasting. I know, I probably shouldn’t have tasted it. Lol. Also read that it can’t really be cured. Bummer.
@el_cheezer I have the tree on a table and know that it is safe from the dog, kids and yard work. I think it may be that wet wood bacteria.

Thank you both very much for your help.

3 Likes

I have another opinion to offer, it may not be applicable to your tree. I have several cedar elm and when this tends to happen during the heat of summer. I believe its due to excessive water loss due to transevaporation of soil and foilage. The roots and trunk cannot keep up with the rate of water loss in containerized enviroment. The resulting contraction when dry and expansion after watering are breaks in the vascular tissue. If it doesn’t have a foul smell then I doubt its related to bacterial or fungal infection. Just my two pennies. I usually up the watering when this occurs to prevent further damage. The exude or sap is sweet because of the carbohydrates being carried from the foilage to the roots.

2 Likes

That makes sense. We have been in the triple digits here in Texas for the last week or so. Thank you very much!

1 Like

Keep us posted on your health. I’m not sure I’d ever read an article on “wet wood” (aka: Slime Flux), find out it’s a bacterial infection, then taste it. If your skin starts to weep an oozing slime around your crotch or pruning scars, consult a doctor or an arborist.

3 Likes

Oozing slime from the crotch is never good :confused:

3 Likes

Gotta chop off the necrotic tissue