Cedar of Lebanon

Greetings all!

I am new to bonsai and recently acquired these cedar of Lebanon. I think they look pretty awesome and would welcome any design suggestions and horticultural advice. One issue is that the second and third lack an obvious leader. This is consistent with the Mirai video which shows that the apex is often flat, but not sure how to get vertical growth from here. They seem rather potbound, so my plan is to repot in a nursery pot in the spring 2022 and first styling in fall 2022.

Thanks!

1 Like

1 Like

Nice find. Have you checked the roots at all? You can create a leader simply by wiring up one of the top branches.

1 Like

Thanks. I am hesitant to go digging in the roots because it’s summer. I did dig out the deadwood on the first because it looked like it was deteriorating in the dirt. It’s starting to flare more just one inch under the surface, and I still have not hit the main roots.

Regarding a new leader, all the secondary branches grow near vertically from the primary branch all the way to the tip. Pretty neat, actually, and likely forms the numerous flat foliage pads on mature trees. I included a close up shot. I am curious to know whether buds will form and elongate 360 degrees around the top branch if I wire it up.

1 Like

You can wire the highest side branch up, then flatten it out again nearer the top you want like an r if you get what i mean.

1 Like