Boulevard Cypress design

Looking for any advice/experience in designing a boulevard cypress. Obviously certain species have particular styles that they lend themselves to, but I can’t find any specific information relating to Boulevard Cypress. I searched the Mirai library and nothing comes up. It is a type of Chamaecyparis, but it doesn’t seem to me to be very “hinoki-like” in appearance or branch structure …
If anyone here has any photos of ones they have designed, or can direct me to some resource, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Description

‘Boulevard’ false-cypress is a semi-dwarf, evergreen shrub cultivar belonging to the cypress family (Cupressaceae). This cultivar originated as a sport of ‘Squarrosa’ and was introduced in 1934 by Boulevard Nurseries, in Rhode Island… The genus name derives from the Greek words chamai, for dwarf or low to the ground, and kyparissos, for “cypress.” The species epithet, pisifera, is Latin meaning “pea-bearing” and refers to the small rounded cones borne by this tree.

This plant grows best in full sun to part shade with moist but well-drained, acidic loamy soil and protection from windy conditions. It is slow growing and densely pyramidal in form, typically reaching 5 to 6 feet tall in 10 years and may mature at 12 feet tall, but can be pruned to maintain a particular size and form. The canopy opens up and becomes leggy with age. The plant can be propagated by stem cuttings or division. It is typically regarded as heat tolerant.

The soft, pliable, blue-green foliage is showy and holds its color well through winter. Female cones are lacking in this juvenile cultivar. The peeling, reddish bark adds additional interest.

The beautiful blue-green needles contrast nicely with other mid- to dark-green-leaved plants and can be grown in containers when younger, used as a specimen or hedge, or planted along the back of a border.

It is used in topiary (pom pom style), I dont think it has its own “style” in the sense you are referring to…There is no “this is how a JBP should look” for this species, so have fun with it and explore…

To me if the Dwarf Alberta Spruce and a
Chamaecyparis obtusa ‘Split Rock’ had a baby it would be something like growth habit of the Boulevard Cypress … :wink:

1 Like

Thanks! Very helpful.

1 Like