Azalea "Yardadori"

Humidity is what you want however you produce it, slowing down the transpiration.

1 Like

I was was in the cutting mood and got it all trimmed up and felt great like I could see the future shape clearly. I guess the mushrooms are a good sign I’m keeping the moisture relatively high. :man_shrugging:t2:

Thanks for the advice. Fingers crossed to see what happens.

2 Likes

Seems to be chugging along. No real solid groth yet but the leaves that are on the plant still seem to be healthy. Was thinking about allowing a little sun for the foliage that exists. Would that do anything with how few leaves are on the tree?

1 Like

It should be Ok as long as you keep it away from strong sunlight. Ease it gently until it gets all day. You should be seeing the signs of new growth on the trunks very soon. Incidentally, there was an article about azaleas a couple of years ago in the Bonsai Focus magazine where a Japanese master dug up loads of azaleas that were upwards of a hundred years old. He created a fantastic multi trunk bonsai from one.

2 Likes

Lots of light but no direct sunlight I reckon😬
Naturaly a woodland plant so it can handy the shaded now, get new growth and introduce it to sunlight slowly :+1:glad it’s still green

I’ve just had a tree in a similar situation an old bush that has been a bonsai a long time and I had to remove the old non exiting sheen/shin garden soil :grimacing: so it’s out of the greenhouse and sat in the shade getting misted often while it’s warm, it’s popped new buds amongst some old growth but I’ll shade them for a while.

1 Like

So I’m feeling much more confident about this tree. Looks like it’s happy and really producing lots of new growth. :grin:Uploading: 34A3C406-03D1-41D7-B459-DCDE8681E4DC.jpeg… Uploading: E768FFF0-708A-42BF-87C3-893DB379153F.jpeg… Uploading: F0DED2BD-88DB-412C-9C72-2F358283A51A.jpeg… Uploading: 3E22FFF6-7616-469F-8190-E00BC458F2F5.jpeg… Uploading: 556AC9E2-4F9A-4696-BD29-8D07368740C7.jpeg… Uploading: 00ED8EBB-CAAE-4B41-A6DA-56EA7073F6C5.jpeg…

@jjenk321 I’m afraid your images didn’t upload

image image image image image image

2 Likes

The tree is coming along amazingly and I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on why I should do next if anything?

Thanks!

If it were me, I’d take it out of that tent before a fungal issue pops up. That looks like a lot of humidity. I’ve never had to do that in the southern US with my azaleas. I just pot em up, chop em back and let em grow.

I do see that technique advertised a lot in the UK where the climate is quite a bit cooler and shorter growing season. May be worth asking Ryan in a forum Q&A.

1 Like

Thanks, I will definitely take it out of the tent this week. I had just sprayed it not long before the picture but its definitely more humid in there than outside. Good advice! thanks.

My azelea is growing great. What suggestions do you have for the next step?

3 Likes

Repot in 4:1 kanuma pumice mix next spring.

Perfect. That’s what I was hoping. I will continue to ensure it stays healthy until then.

1 Like

Should I be doing some wiring and pruning as well this early spring? It seems like I should be doing some shaping and pruning this early spring. I’m out of town now but will post pics soon if it currently. It did great all year and appears really strong.

1 Like

Ok so here in south Louisiana spring is coming soon for us and I’m planning out work to be done on the trees. This tree has responded so well I think it can handle some work this year. My question is, I’m planning on reporting and doing some trimming of the foliage and wiring. It’s already stated to push new buds. Am I too late or should I plan for later year work on this one?

I think youll be ok to go ahead. The tree looks healthy and ready for it. Choose a couple of the longer sprouts and they make good cuttings.

How long has it been in the pot? I think you should be good too. Like keith said it looks healthy. Did you watch the azelea repot stream on Miari Live with Peter? If not you should he touches on this, and goes indepth about various Azelea techniques. I’m picking up an imported Sumo style Azelea soon which im pumped about.

It’s only been in that pot since april of last year so no that terribly long but I was just looking at the growth and thinking that it might be capable of handling it. I have watched them before but definitely need to go back for a refresher.