Water PH, Reverse Osmosis, DI Water

Recently watching the Spring Water archive I heard Ryan refer to Mirai using a reverse osmosis system.
Currently I’m using city water for my trees, however I have access to both Type I and Type II reagent grade DI water which goes through a water softener, reverse osmosis system and UV light with a PH of 6.5.
My question is would this water be good for my trees or am I better off maybe just using Rain water vs. City water ?

1 Like

I think you may just have to try them and see what works best for you and the plants. Also, I thought Ryan said he knows people who use reverse osmosis but he uses rain water and/or city water left in something like a cistern. I could be wrong though, you watched it much more recently than I lol. I do know that with the DI water, we lose out on some of the ionized minerals which the plants use.

1 Like

Carl, you pretty much comfirmed what I was thinking which is if I did use DI water I would some how have add a supplement to replace the mineral loss you mentioned. I’m thinking rain water is the way to go but will experiment with the DI and see how works out with one of my trees.

Thanks for the feedback

1 Like

Of course, no problem! It would be awesome if you tracked and posted your findings with using both rain and DI water :grin:

I just wanted to follow up on my original post and correct a possible error, after rewatching the clip referencing use of an RO system I’m not sure if Ryan was specifically saying Mirai used that system or not, I’m thinking they don’t and just want to apologize for my mistake. Thankyou

1 Like

I have a Ph of 7.5. I put water into 45 gallon barrels and adjust the PH with a PH down acid from a Hydroponic shop. Have done this for many years without any problems. Just make sure you have a good PH meter and adjust it slowly. It doesn’t take long to get into a routine and my collection is of a size that I water by hand with a can. I’m sure though that this system could be automated. There are some clever people out there and I would suggest a pool shop would have the correct electronics to achieve this. Don’t use swimming pool chemicals. Hydroponic shops are a great source of organic fertilisers such as fish emulsions. Propergators etc.

2 Likes