To late for roots work?

Good evening, I would like to have your opinion. I have two thuya and a Chamaecyparis bought last year. They are very very congested at the roots. My plan was to repot them this spring, but between the very late night frosts and the very early heat wave and Yamadori pickings, I ran out of time !! It announces cooler weather for the next few days, do you think it is possible to do something at the root level? I am in Sherbrooke, Québec hardiness zone 4b.

Thanks

1 Like

I think you are probably too late to repot without risk especially for the Hinoki. If they are trees you value highly I would advise you to wait until next spring.

1 Like

Hi @Shany. What you could do is put the pot inside a bigger pot without disturbing the roots. This will allow the roots to grow through the bottom of the original pot into the fresh soil. That would suffice until next spring until you can repot it properly.

I had in mind to scratch only the surface to reach the base of the nebari in order to have a clear portrait for styling this year, like Ryan does in this video ( 10 first minutes): https://live.bonsaimirai.com/library/video/nursery-stock-series-pt.-3 .

1 Like