The first rule of bonsai

Just to get a conversation going-
“The first rule of bonsai is to ensure that all the trees you make break at least one rule of bonsai.”

4 Likes

If I am not mistaken, the Japanese have no”rules” for bonsai the way some books have promoted. So, to me, the rule is that there are no rules. All is needed is horticultural knowledge, common sense and application of an artistic touch. As always IMHO.

5 Likes

True that @Stavros,
Let’s say faults then. My club show had some great trees, but many had designe faults, but somehow these gave character.

2 Likes

I believe the first and last rule… is keep the tree healthy and alive!! also imho. :persevere:

3 Likes

Rule, not all you trees are going to live.

3 Likes

Personally I feel that while maybe not #1 rule but if humility and patience are not learned or already possessed nothing has been learned or gained from Bonsai.

3 Likes

Yes @WLKeugene,
Perhaps #1 lesson. Bonsai is not just about what we do to trees, but also what trees do to us.

6 Likes

I think the first rule of anything is have fun!:sunglasses:And say WAAHOO once a day, it will put a smile on your face:

5 Likes

The first rule of bonsai is:

It’s not bonsai until it makes the viewer feel something – anything. Bonsai is the alchemy of pot and tree.

2 Likes

Yes! Thank you, as it is with all art.

2 Likes

I thought the first rule of bonsai is: “don’t talk about bonsai”

3 Likes

What shall we talk about then…Kendall’s plants?..Oh I got it, Ryan’s almost non boyish beard?:grinning:

First rule of Bonsai. Don’t forget to water. No water, no Bonsai.

4 Likes

First rule of Bonsai. You can never get enough of bonsai. Always more to know, and understand. More trees to be the guardians of. More pots to choose, more work to be done. More trees in the wild to look at to get inspiration for styling bonsai’s in pots on. Bring it on.

3 Likes

“Rules are for guidance laws are made to be broken”, as said by the late Paul Goff.

1 Like

The first rule of bonsai is DON’T STYLE DRUNK

(… every time I look at that tree, I see the missing branch …)

8 Likes