Seasonal Use of Reemay Cloth

Does anyone have experience using Reemay Cloth with individual trees?
This site
Learn More About Reemay- The Multipurpose Fabric claims that it can raise temperatures by 5 to 15 degrees. I have wondered if it would offer significant frost protection to the root zones of bonsai moved to the ground off the bench.
I am currently using a piece of Reemay to shade foliage from late afternoon sun. It may have been my imagination - but it felt warmer when I put my hand under the fabric.
Then I wondered about the tropicals we are growing outside of their zones. Would a loose Reemay ‘baggie’ over a Jacaranda trigger flowering? Has anyone done any experiments?

1 Like

Hi @cab_lad_70
If you want to shade your plants, there are better products out there. It looks like this cloth lets in lots of light and traps heat. As far as its use as an insulator in the form of a bag, i would worry that you would be playing a sail on you tree, which could damage it in high winds.
It does sound interesting though. Good luck with your experiments.

1 Like

I stumbled upon this video this morning. The tree sale via eBay may be of interest to UK bonsai practitioners but his use of reemay fabric was what captured my attention.
He doesn’t discuss it but he appears to have fabric roughly attached to the fence where he can cover plants quickly to protect from frost.
Interesting…