Planting angle and pot choice for White Cedar?

I like the tree’s straight arrow deadwood. What I don’t like are the branches on the left. Here’s a statue of a kneeling archer:

I’m not saying you need to follow the theme of an archer, but there is a dynamic in the statue that resembles the dynamics of your tree’s base. The archer’s forward knee matches your tree. It carries a sense of motion to the left side of the tree’s base. There, the archer’s rear leg forms a wide strong base, again, the same as your tree. These motions impart a sense of swirling turbulence with purpose.

At the top of the tree, and the archer, the swirling motion has been tamed from three dimensions down to one. The turbulence gives a sense of stored kinetic energy waiting to be released. All of that energy comes down to one straight line.

But look at the left side of your tree. The branches are all pointing up in the opposite direction. Many of the branches are straight; and there are plenty of branches over there. To me, I see all the tension and turbulence of the base being released as if a pressure valve had blown out. I’d like to see fewer branches over there, and I’d like to see them supporting the transition from base to deadwood.

Finally, I’d like to see the top most branching more in line with focused energy for the deadwood. Where the base is stored turbulent power, the first branches should be more turbulent than the top. There is so much movement in the base and such a straight top, I want to see the foliage (and maybe some lower deadwood) reflecting the concentration of power to one straight line.

4 Likes