Pinus mugo when to work

Recently got this tree and am after advice on when to prune,wire and repot it’s a pinus mugo and am not sure how long it’s been in the pot some spots on the tree look like they need cutting back to avoid swelling it is currently winter here in Australia Victoria and am not sure when to start working on this tree

1 Like

Hi @luke
You should be safe to take any dead stuff off now. I would wait until buds start to elongate in the spring to repot. Depending on how well it bounces back after that you go back for a pruning in late summer. Best practices.
I got a Scott’s Pine late autumn and pruned and wired it, then reported in the spring. Not ideal, but the tree is doing fine. Iv also repotted Mugo in the summer (washed the roots clean!) and the tree was happy, although I couldn’t recommend the last 2!

2 Likes

Thanks if i dont repot it when is the best time to prune and wire

1 Like

What is it currently potted in. Looks like pummice? May not need repotting for several yesrs. Is it securley tied in the pot?
A lot of information to digest and things to remember.
Summer solstice HERE 65F.
Winter solstice THERE. 63F today…
While you are waiting, watch Mirai pine repotting and pine progression videos.
If the buds are not active YET, clean off older needles. Leave last springs and 1 year old needles. Cut off dead and unwanted minor limbs (late fall… is OK, if sap is starting to flow- hold off.), maybe gently wire and DECIDE and start to set design now. Check surface rootage and trunk movement for best front.
Gather new pot and proper bonsai soil now.
Check for bud swelling now. Your local spring growth MAY be now. Repot when buds are starting to swell. Repot, do NOT bare root. Leave 1/3, first time under center of tree. Minimal root work unless real healthy. Tie the tree securley…
P. mughu back bud easily on old wood. Crazy healthy and forgiving. Always leave a bud behind a limb cut; or leave this year’s needles for active buds at base.
Welcome to BONSAI ! Don’t let ‘too much information’ slow you down. Have fun. Figure out what works for you. My oldest trees (to my collection) are my favorite, maybe not the best designed, they can always be improved.

1 Like

I’m not sure on soil type it’s coverd in rock that seem to be glued on and completely covers the soil. I removed a small amount and it seem to be like the bags I purchase at my local Bunnings store made for bonsai. The tree is secured in by wire it runs under the pot. I have watch a lot of the mirai videos on pine but get confused with all the different pines and am not sure with ones relate to my tree all seem different. The buds look active would that be the indicator of the sap flowing and to not touch tree while in this stage .when you saying spring growth I’m not sure of what you mean because it is winter at the moment and still got maybe two months till spring thanks again for your feed back I do appreciate it a lot

Uploading: 8AC71F07-D219-46D6-AC8F-5C56C0CC806A.jpeg…