Pine Work - Where to start

I’ve literally lain in bed and seen a picture of something really creative to do on a branch or two on a tree. Whatever it takes. Often that’s just time. Patience grasshopper :wink:.

You collect with Anton Nijhuis?! You must be on the island!! I live in Victoria, and me and my mate go collecting up island. What city do you live in? Are you part of any bonsai clubs?

For pine yams, the best thing is to make sure they are planted in pure pumice and leave them alone for 2-3 years for the roots to recover! I would only take off structural flaws and wire basic structural parts. Loads of yams on the island have needle cast so we treat in spring with a copper solution.

my collected pines have huge needles after collection. This is great! The tree is getting more love than its ever known. Longer needles equals more foliage mass which equals more energy which equals more back buds! In time the tree settles down and the long needles can be transitioned to a more desired length

1 Like

I’d love to connect with Anton one day. My best tree is a hemlock he collected. I keep my collecting areas on the wraps, but I would love to discuss things further in person or private email. Catch me at
blue_milk@msn.com
I hope we can connect someday!