My Jack pine repotted

@rafi So I tried to zoom in on both photos. Is that a pine cone that I see on both photos?
I like the change you made with some negative space on the right.

yes, there are a few cones in this tree. I like them. Thanks for your comment :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@rafi I wanted to see if you have ever had any similar issues with your jack pine. I acquired a nursery stock tree earlier this year. I did a mild wiring job on it. I say mild because there was no heavy bending, not tears in the exterior bark. However most of my needles in the apex portion are turning brown. There has been no drought stress or no root pruning or any other action done to the tree. wiring was done approx 2 months ago, its currently in part sun
My only thought as to why this may be happening (if it is not common) is maybe the outer layer of tissue has separated from the inner woody layer durning the bending? I recall Ryan showing this separation potential in a stream about juniper or cypress?

1 Like

Hi @atom, I never had any such issue with my Jack pine. I donā€™t know if I can help you but here are some thoughts that come to my mind as I read your post. Are the browned needles directly past a point where the wiring might have been a little more aggressive? Is there a chance that you have a problem with a borer insect instead? In any case, if this is localized to a specific area, that it, nothing to do, just think about how the future design will accommodate the lost branches. If it is everywhere and there are no borers lower down, I would think that the only thing to do it maintain the balance of water and oxygen and hope for the best.

1 Like

Hi Rafi,

Jack pines are single flushā€¦ even in a greenhouse environment which extends their growing season. I guess the question for us, in our climate, is: can our pitch pine (which is a multi-flush) produces another candle in the same season? I would think that this is where a greenhouse would definitively help, but I havenā€™t played with pitch pines thus far so I canā€™t say for sure.
My two cents!

Hey @SteveU, how we can meet in person some day and share a beer, weā€™re close by. I completely agree with you. Do you have any pitch pines but didnā€™t work on them yet? Hopefully in the future I get the chance to work on oneā€¦