More humble materials please

TLDR; In comparison to 200+ videos on different advanced material, a handful of videos on nursery stock can’t be all that can be said about the young nursary material IMHO.

@hierophantic I agree with how you’ve reframed the point of my original post.

Besides enabling Ryan to do what he loves, he often states his motivation for creating Mirai Live which is (and I paraphrase) to elevate the level of bonsai as an art-form in the US and the rest of the world. It makes me highly doubt these videos are aimed at the Japanese market and so the cost of entry level material in Japan, for us outside of Japan, is a moot point. But on this journey for Ryan, there are folks at different levels of horticultural knowledge and material preferences and it’s a fact that the balance of videos on Mirai Live is highly swung towards the old and prized conifers. I suspect this is directly related to sell-ability of those trees at the Mirai nursery (i.e folks visiting the nursery will not be as impressed by young materials and won’t pay the kind of money that’s needed to run the place - aka running a business 101).

However Mirai Live is a separate entity, especially for those of us who will never get to physically visit Bonsai Mirai and there is a sizeable group of its subscribers who would like to see content on the stock that’s widely available/affordable.

1 Like