Magnolia Sapling Strategy Help

From my experience, magnolias resist wiring in every way: they snap easily after lignification, but show scars (obviously) if wired prior. After a while I took to weighing down the tips I would prune off later, which gave it a nice up-out-and-down structure magnolias are (luckily) known for. It also took a long time for leaf size to naturally shrink, but stick with it (I could have been doing something wrong, but after 4 years of the usual partial defoliation, etc. and in the same pot, they finally shrunk down to a proportionate size). It was also one of my first trees (and unfortunately died last summer after 8 years of hard work, due to summer vacation and less than enthusiastic caretaker…best of luck! They are great trees!

1 Like

So sorry to hear about your Magnolia :’(

This is so helpful thank you! This will get me thinking about alternatives to wiring now. I’m thinking some rubber-protected tie-downs and clip-n-grow to create that movement.

Magnolias generally grow with that clump / multitrunk style and I want to represent that growth habit.

I haven’t explored very deep in the root system to find what I hope will be some nice flare a few inches down. I’m banking on these roots propelling it through the rest of the season to set it up for an early spring repot

Thanks. It happens (as I am sure you know).

Yes, I didn’t think about/know about these issues initially, so it set my design back in the beginning. Those are both good alternatives. Keep us updated!

Hey, even the dead ones can bring life to your home! Thanks for the encouragement

1 Like