Ginkgo substrate

Hi! What king of substrate do you use for ginkgo? Is a kind of tree between deciduous and conifer.
Thanks.
Best.

Hi !
I have only one ginkgo, in development . i repotted last year in 50% akadama and 50% pumice.
In refinement i would go 100% akadama.

2 Likes

Why do you put pomice? Just to understand!
Thank a lot!

For stability as akadama does progressively break down. The breaking down of akadama is an advantage for trees in refinement as it will lead to leaf/internode reduction. A tree in development doesn’t need as much leaf/internode reduction.

2 Likes

as a first repotting from a nursery pot I think it’s a good compromise.
Less expensive :grin:

1 Like

Thank you for the knowledge!

So…I decided to tackle my 4 gallon ginkgo repot, nursery acquired last sumer. Ever heard of a cultavar— Troll?
Outer edges ALL fine roots in nursery soil. Easy peasy…
Inner 2 gallons is solid thumbsized roots and rock hard dirt…
Bast___s slip potted it and fertilized heavy several years ago. Now if will take 3 repots to get into a bonsai pot…
Joys of bonsai. Bonsai on…

1 Like

my recent one went rather well, though that was coming out of a training pot with pumice…
so no sport then.

3 Likes

@antelion Nice rootball.
Put mine back into a 2 gal nursery pot. Didn’t have ANYTHING deep enouh.

Akadama n pumice.
Future plan, airlayer off the main trunk just above the right trunk. Leave a stub, cut /work later. Maybe bark transplant… to cover.
Airlayer just above the bottom reverse taper. (I assume it is a graft…?) Tilt way left. Bob’s your uncle…
Ever hear of grafting ginkgo…? Maybe just a bud…
These are wierd trees.(Been reading the professional papers on google…!)
Bonsai on!

1 Like

Your reverse taper is indeed a graft, the vast majority of commercially grown cultivars are grafted.

According to my Dirr and Heuser copy, the cultivars are usually grafted because cutting-grown ones seem to take a growing pause the season after rooting. There is some indication that cuttings that were rooted and transplanted early do not exhibit the pause.

Grafting is usually done in two ways:

1. Summer bud grafting on seedling understock

2. January or February whip and cleft grafting

I repotted a young gingko seedling the other day, they are indeed weird trees. I had never seen a seedling with so many active root meristems, nor with such weirdly shaped ones… it almost looked like someone had glued small triangles all over the rootball.

1 Like

@KurtP, as a pointer for your air layer consideration. Today I repotted a new acquisition. More or less the whole root system came from “air roots” which formed above the actual soil line of the tree. There are not that many roots origination from the below soil line part of the tree (if that description makes sense?)

My assumption would thus be hat an air layer should also work out in similar fashion (though my assumption and not knowledge, so no liabilities please … ;- )

1 Like