Garden water pH

Kurt,

We are using “Body Glove”. The box doesn’t mention pH, but the filter removes sediments, chlorine, lime scale, iron, manganese, sulfides and lead. It could be that one of those compounds is contributing to the higher pH of the unfiltered water.

Maryann

Maryann,

The reduction in the pH for the filtered water is most likely due to removal of the lime scale which is primarily calcium carbonate (CaCO3). This is most often done by replacing the calcium ion with a sodium ion (water softeners), but could be different in your unit. Until I knew better, I would probably not use that water for indoor plants.

Marty

I second the recommendation to use a digital ph meter. It is quicker, more reliable, and you dont have to mess with strips and guessing color. I made the switch a few months ago and it makes a big difference.

2 Likes

I forgot to post the meter I went with. Luckily I’ve only had to use it once since the rain finally returned.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ST3VTQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_xZ7tRHvhDNqoX

1 Like

Bentley,

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at some of the other ones people mentioned and will check this one out as well.

By the way, my bonsai are doing extremely well with 1 TBL of white vinegar per gallon of water. Lots of new growth. It will be interesting to see exactly what pH this mixture is.

Maryann

1 Like

Nice. Mine ended up being about 1 TBL per 1.5 gallons. After seeing how little it took I wasn’t too worried about applying a bunch of vinegar to my plants.

Side note; my maples have LOVED the addition of Cal-mag this year.

Thank you everyone for this discussion. Just got my pH meter and found our tap water is 8.5. Addressing this ASAP!

2 Likes

@Bonsai_Bentley - Aquarium days??? What kind of aquariums? I started my 1st. aquarium when I was about 13. Then the aquarium journey ended about 5 years ago (30+ years later…lol) when I came home and my 40G reef tank had crashed and everything was dead. Thousand plus worth of fish and corals were gone overnight. Haven’t had a tank since.

Here is the pH pen I use. Also the calibration fluids and storage solution.
your pH pen probe will stop working if you let it dry out. You have to keep the probe wet at ALL times!!!

pH Pen

Storage Solution

Calibration Fluids

Oh man, hate to hear that. The sudden swings in health definitely suck and eventually that’s what got me out of it as well. I’ve had a salt water fish tank, reef tank, planted freshwater shrimp tank and planted freshwater fish tank concurrently, then a small planted bio-cube beta tank. I eventually got tired of the upkeep.

1 Like

@Bonsai_Bentley - I never did a planted tank. I did breed African Cichlids for a while tho. I had eight 10 gallon tanks with babies of different sizes… The upkeep was part of the reason I stopped as well.

1 Like

Me, too. Had a 10 and 35 gal tank. Accidently started breading Lamprologis bachardii(spelling?) herd. Bread themselves out of house and home. Dropped off 90 puppies and adults at fish store… ran out of there…
Tanks are out in my horse stall / storage. Maybe palm them off on my nephews… just to irritate the neice and her husband! :sunglasses:
Bonsai are NOT much easier… :fearful: My water pH is 8.4.

1 Like

I’ve been using a PH product for about a year now with good results. It’s really a hydroponic additive. I use PH Down, since my city water tests at around 7.2…which is pretty good! I put a small amount of PH Down to get the water to around 6.5, when I’m not using collected rain water. I’m in Seattle…and yes, I do run out of rain water sometimes. :stuck_out_tongue:

PH Product - AMAZON

1 Like

I have a 36gal bowfront sitting in the garage for around 3 years now. Got it for free from the side of the road. Went back to get the stand and someone took it. :rage: I swear that some day I’m going to set up another planted tank, but this time high-tech. I doubt I’ll ever do it though. I’ve got enough going on in my life lol.

1 Like

Hey Bentley,

Curious if you’re still using the same pH meter with good results?

The reviews seem to indicate they basically die within a year of use. Even with proper storage and routine calibration ( for those who don’t know, pH meters should be calibrated prior to there initial use in a 24 hour period ).

My background is in biotech and even the $700+ dollar models we use in lab can be quite finicky. Curious to hear how your miles varied.

Kind regards,
Pat

I honestly don’t use mine much. I started collecting rain water, so I haven’t had a need to adjust my water for pH.

1 Like