Dawn Redwood design and maintenance

I have seen bald cypress and coastal redwood information in horticultural and design categories and in Marai Live videos. I’m just not sure how much of what I see in this information pertains to Dawn Redwood. I understand that it is a deciduous conifer and an elongating species. I’m not sure about a pinching schedule (early spring…late summer?) and a design plan. I currently have a Dawn Redwood forest.

4 Likes

Hi @MAH
I have a couple of Dawn Redwoods, and find the biggest challenge is preventing the nodes from swelling as they keep throwing shoots from the same place. Also, if I prune too soon, the new wood won’t lignify enough to get back buds and will be dropped at the end of the season. I try to rub out extra buds that are not needed, then let it grow until new branches are brown and then prune. However, I don’t know if this is correct, it’s just something I have arrived at.

2 Likes

That was what i arrived at too. Something similar to the bald cypress growth management.

1 Like

Thanks. I have tried to pinch the growing tips as indicated in the Bald Cypress and elongating species video, but that’s all the pruning I’ve done so far this year. I will wait till the new growth hardens off before further design work. I’m in zone 5, and I just brought my Dawn Redwoods outside and placed them in the shade.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Just pinched some of the growing tips. No pruning till the new growth hardens off.

1 Like

When is the best time of year in zone 5 to repot a Dawn Redwood?

1 Like