Black Pine Styling - A look at some of the pines in my garden

I’ll take some closer photos today. I’d love to know 100%. As I said, I know what I was told, but I have my doubts.

JBP decandled in UK 1/6/18

4 Likes

What a beautiful site to behold!

1 Like

So, the 2nd buds just don’t really extend eh? I think that’s what we’re seeing here? Otherwise the color is nice so it looks healthy.

1 Like

Yes. Massively healthy plant, but the second buds can’t get going. And we have had a “hot” summer

2 Likes

Wow! This is interesting cos apparently this year we had over 50% more hot and sunny days in compare to other UK summers and still it didn’t extend…? I did try it last year (the usual UK summer) with similar results. Sorry no documentation from my side neither remembering where I heard/read it which answered my wondering and won’t back-dig the answer. Sorry for lack of evidence @ThomasUrban :unamused:

2 Likes

Here’s another younger mugo pine I styled last spring. Going through old photos I’m finding some I actually almost like…

3 Likes

I have a Black Pine that I purchased from a local Bonsai shop back in June. It looks identical to yours. Same planters pot, same trunk diameter and type of branching.

I haven’t done anything with mine except remove the old wire which was cutting deeply into the bark in a few places, putting a screw into the trunk and guy wiring a couple of the lower branches downward. I’ll pot it during the winter, probably into a wood box so I can use supports screwed to the box to help with some heavy bending.

When I bought it the label just said Black Pine and the lad manning the counter really didn’t know anything about Bonsai trees. Senior members at my Bonsai club say it is Nigra, not JBP.

Your pics give me some good inspiration on where to take mine.

Thanks for sharing!
Bob

1 Like

Do you live in the Vancouver area, Bob? Well, Richmond would be more specific in this case. I’m glad I could inspire you! That was the whole idea behind sharing these unique trees. These had a weird almost square shaped silver wire on them. Digging in deep with very long leggy branches. Actually, I’ll post a before of one of them here for better comparison to how I bought them. PNG

Hi… I live in Southern Ontario. I was at the Bonsai shop in Markham Ontario where I bought mine yesterday. It’s owned and operated by a Taiwanese couple. I asked him about the tree I bought. He had several others on his benches. He insisted it was a JBP that he brought over from Taiwan, even after I said it only pushed one flush this year. I still think it’s Austrian Black Pine.

I think the style of the trees look more like Penjing rather than Bonsai, so Taiwan as a source of the trees would make sense.

If you are interested, I can post a pic of my tree.

Bob

1 Like

Ya the stock material from the nursery I got them from was definitely geared towards penjing. Even the wire techniques that had been applied were more Chinese. I’d love to see your tree. I’m curious now because they could very well be from the same source seeing as how were both in Canada. I’ve been trying to back track the movement of these trees since I saw first saw them a few years back. The nursery I get em from literally brings in 6-8 a year and I’m the only one who buys em. I just wanna figure out where they come from so I can source out the better material from the source directly.

Below is a picture of my tree. I called Kim’s Nature (the Bonsai shop where I got the tree) and asked the owner where he got the trees from. He does import them from B.C.!! He wouldn’t tell me which nursery though. So it looks like they probably do come from the same source! Interesting! :slight_smile:

Here’s my tree…

2 Likes

It is from the same source! Now I HAVE to figure this out. If they’re selling these off to the nurseries to resell they’ve got to have some great material on hand. I don’t know how I haven’t found the source of these here. I thought for sure I had known all the suppliers of bonsai and bonsai stock. That’s a real crazy coincidence! Nice eye man.

Here’s another from the same batch I bought …I think there’s still one or two photos I have to dig up to share. I’ll probably remove the lowest branch on this tree…I left it on because it was honestly one of the most beautifully structured natural branches I had ever seen. It felt like a shame to remove it. Obviously looking at the photo it has to go. Next spring when I actually bring these out to rework I’ll make the small necessary

changes to them all. Thanks again for looking!

2 Likes

Hello AndyK,

Last year my JBP didnt push a second flush here in Denmark, but this year it did, and the second flush is hardening off right now - mayB it is because of the high temperatures this year and the many sunny hours :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @Ryujinmaru
When did you decandle? Europe definitely had some heat to his year.

1 Like

If you do find out, please let me know. You’ve got me really curious now as well! The only Bonsai nursery in B.C. that I know about is Shikoku (http://www.shikoku.ca/). The owner was a university student of one of our club member’s. He went to Japan to study Bonsai and started his nursery there a number of years ago. I have no idea if our trees come from there or not, but if you are not familiar with this nursery, maybe you can check.

Best of luck!
Bob

1 Like

I’ve been a fan of Shikoku for years. I actually just purchased a white pine from them yesterday. The trees are not from Shikoku. I’ve already asked. It’s a mystery man. I’m gonna keep digging but I’m honestly stumped. Maybe you could tell the guy at your nursery you have a friend in BC who wants to purchase one of these trees. Maybe he’ll spill the beans?

I decandled the first week of june… It was pushing like mad - 3-5 candles pr. location, but I was also feeding like very aggressively from early spring. Vigor + heavy feeding combined with high temp/sunshine = happy black pine :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi @Ryujinmaru,
Average temperature in UK this year apparently, have been 17.2C. Even though the summer was hot, I can’t remember may days over 30C. I will let my JBP grow free next year and pile on the fertiliser, then have another go the year after and maybe cut a little earlier.

1 Like