Ashe juniper yamadori collection

Yeah, I kinda figured that out after the fact. I didn’t spray them off or anything, but I removed the majority of the soil, half way intentionally, half way unintentionally. I suppose you’re right, just hope for the best. I really hope they make it, because my boss is showing an interest in bonsai, and I ripped half of them out of his yard!!!

1 Like

A question I am struggling with now is when do I take out from under my patio and get out some sun. I know don’t let it get exposed to freezing temps and o don’t want to do the bonsai shuffle with it due to it just being potted recently but I want to make sure I don’t keep it out the Sun too long and it struggles from that. I have been to conservative in the past and trees have suffered because of it, so I want to do the best thing even if it’s not the conservative thing.

Thanks.

Every plant and environment is different, but I like to wait for the soil to dry out at least twice or two weeks. Whichever is sooner. I repotted my cupressus arizonica a little over two weeks ago. It’s only dried out once and is still pretty moist, but I want to get it out in what little sun we have. Not much threat of freezing here, but wind is no joke.

1 Like

When the day time temps are at 10C is the ideal time to begin hardening off trees that have been sheltered during the winter. Place them outside in a sunny / sheltered spot for the warm days but bring them back into shelter at night. Do this for 2 -3 weeks until the night time temps remain at 7 - 10C. Then you can leave them outside for the duration. If you are likely to suffer severe frosts then simply place it back in shelter until the frost has passed.

1 Like