What have you collected this season? 2018

@ryan.marin Holy hell! Who needs a gym membership when you can just dig up endless boxwoods. What a marathon dig! Good luck with the rest!

@Erobling Somy type of Ilex maybe? Hmm, kind of a gnarly windswept look to it!

I’ll have to post pics in the morning but I collected some Urbandori today. Craigslist post looking for someone to dig up old hedges. I ended up with some massive boxwoods and 3 crepe myrtles for my back breaking efforts…total cost…90 min sweat equity, some plastic bins and potting medium.

1 Like

One of the nicer Larch I collected in northern PA 2 weeks ago buds fully swelled growing with a flat root base in shale spoils from the old strip mines we have hoards of. Potted in pure pumice to try to establish over the next few hears.

6 Likes

@GarryFrey Really nice Larch! That dramatic curve right at the base is perfect. And the fact that you’ve got those two low branches growing out right at the top of that movement, just before the trunk straightens, is a blessing. After the tree recovers well I think you should chop it down to those two lowest branches and grow are really dramactic twisting trunk line from there! Full of potential!

3 Likes

LarchForrest
Need to let them establish and then make decision’s so many options and Larch with good movement so hard to find. They all grow like arrows in the shale spoils areas.
I do like your idea of short chopping but I am going to let them grow and thicken before any final decisions.

2 Likes

Better late than never with the pics. Urbandori.

4 Likes

A fig tree that needed a new home.

11 Likes

oak_20170509
This small oak was growing right up against a cherry tree in our front yard, probably planted by a squirrel. It had been hit repeatedly by the lawnmower. I dug it up March 29 and have been anxiously waiting for it to leaf out, which it is finally starting to do.

Does anyone happen to know which species this might be? I’m in Salem, Oregon, and this tree has nice small leaves, as you can see from the remnants from last year.

Thanks,
Beth

2 Likes

Quercus Garryana (Oregon White Oak) is native to the area. It’s the big powerful Oak you see standing alone in meadows and farmland in the Willamette Valley (and a lot of other places west of the cascades between BC and Northern California).

That’s be my first guess from what’s I can see from the dead leaves.

Nice yard-adori!! I see a lot of potential in this tree. Just let it grow. I see where I want to cut, but jut let it grow out for a year and gain strength.

Thanks so much, Moon! Will do. When I dug it up, it was mostly tap root and not much in the way of fine roots, so I definitely want to give it a chance to build root mass before doing anything else to it. Okay to check back with you in a year about where to cut?

Sure. Just re post a picture, and don’t just take my word for it. There are many members with great eyes for design. Besides what I see now and what may be there in a year may change based on the years growth.
Good Luck!
Bonsai On!

1 Like

This is some sort of blossoming plumb. The first pic is from about 8 weeks ago (approximately 3 weeks after collection). It has leafed out like crazy. I collected 3 of these. 2 went in the ground and one in pumice. The one in pumice has at least 4x as much growth as the 2 in the ground.

5 Likes

Agree with Oregon White oak. Great trunk to start with. Tree “could” be a hybrid if any other different oaks present in near neighborhood. I have 2 young ones myself not near as good as yours.

has

16 Likes

HOLY COW @skyeheston!!! What a haul…both literally and figuratively.

4 Likes

Haha, thanks. Most of them are looking good too, and surprisingly the biggest Ponderosa is doing the best.

@skyeheston. DAAAAMN. :joy:. Hmm sometimes I wish I lived in the western half of the country so this sort of material was more accessible for me to collect. Confiers of that caliber in New York are all on top of mountains that are in state parks and are all highly protected habitats. :sob:. I spent a weekend in the Catskills this past fall and one of the mountains we hiked up to was basically a small plateau on the top of it with a lake, and truly amazing dwarfed pitch pines as far as you could see. None taller than 4 feet. It’s always exciting to see that in nature even if I can’t bring my shovel! Nice haul!

I have a eastern white pine I collected in upstate NY I’m pretty happy with, and I collected lots of cool deciduous when I lived on the east coast, my favorites being the American Hornbean. But yea, the conifers on the east vs the Rockies and the west not as exciting.