Ponderosa Pine Progression

Well I’m looking forward to seeing it!
A little more structure on the left and a little more extension on the right will go a long way. You’ve certainly done an awesome job getting it to this point.

2 Likes

What a beautiful tree and evolution! For my two cents… after Bjorn removed more than half of the tree, it’s now an awesome shohin size with lots of movement. The huge ponderosa needles are lovely, but visually suffocate the trunk in their current arrangement. To the extent possible, I’d try to arrange the foliage to give the zig-zag trunk way more air and prominence in the design. Thoughts?

2 Likes

I think that could happen naturally as this tree continues to build and evolve.

2 Likes

cue FAT BOTTOM GIRLS by QUEEN. Love this one Jeramiah. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thanks. It is still my favorite in my collection. It has been fun watching it transform over these last couple of years. Can’t wait to put it in its pot next spring.

3 Likes

Loving this thread! I have 2 ponderosa’s from Andy! Got them this June. Can’t wait to start work on them! I’m sure I’ll refer back to this thread often.

3 Likes

I am glad people are enjoying the updates. Here is a photo that was taken on July 25th.

6 Likes

You can’t tell from the photo, but I probably cleaned it more than Ryan suggested in Forum Q&A 71. But here is an updated photo from today. August 29, 2020.

9 Likes

Wow, the transformation with the removal of the branch on the left is astounding! It really accentuates the trunk line and gives the tree more movement. Please keep the updates coming!

3 Likes

Agreed. I loved it before, but now it is no longer a plop of foliage sitting on the base. It looks more interesting and my eye likes to follow the trunk line. There is a lot of interest in that trunk. Can’t wait to get it repotted.

3 Likes

What are you thoughts for a pot for the tree?

1 Like

I had Thor Holvila make this pot for me last year for this tree. A little ahead of the game.

3 Likes

4 Likes

:fire::fire::fire:LOVE IT!!!:fire::fire::fire:

How long until you repot it? I’d have a hard time waiting with that custom pot waiting in the wings…

3 Likes

7 or 8 more months of waiting.

2 Likes

Anxiety has kept me from these forums and Ryan’s videos. But here I am with an update on this tree.

I did not repot this tree this year as planned. I felt with what I did to it last fall that I should wait. Below are the May, June, and July update photos. I will take the August photos here in a week or so.

May 2021

June 2021

July 2021

6 Likes

It’s looking fantastic! I really enjoyed reading and seeing the progression! Can’t what to see you next update!

1 Like

Yeah! Thanks for keeping us updated! Tree is looking really wonderful. And much respect for having the patience to wait another year on the repot; not many of us would!

3 Likes

This is what I am talking about! Removal of that left branch was excellent move.

2 Likes

I agree as well. Now that more of the third-year needles have fallen I need to get a new picture.

2 Likes