DIY Bamboo Chopsticks

Welcome!!! Yes I wish I had known 30 years ago what I am learning today. The trees that I killed by bad collection or bad horticulture or trying to work with trees that do not survive our climate. Lets have a moment of silence for the trees that are… Dead Synonyms, Dead Antonyms | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus (merriam-webster.com) If you went to this link you can now go back to learning how to make our trees thrive and live longer than we will. 0_0
(6) Monty Python Dead Parrot - YouTube

2 Likes

FYI, if you heat the bamboo culm section prior to splitting it will be much stronger and hold
a fine point much longer. To do this, simply cut the section of bamboo culm to the length you
need as per the “Chopstick Creation” video by Ryan. Take the culm section and split it once. Place the two bamboo culm halves in an oven and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees on the oven rack. The heat will temper the bamboo and make it much harder and stronger.
When cooled, you can split the rest of the culm into your chopsticks.
If the chopsticks are not straight enough for you, simply hold one over a flame and
heat it for a bit and bend accordingly to straighten while the bamboo cools. Now you can shape the point accordingly. I learned this process making custom bamboo fly rods for 30 years.

7 Likes

They look really good mate nice work! I also live in the uk and looked up timber bamboo and found nothing. I’ll try that link and have a go at making some

1 Like

A couple of other tips. If you want a lot I suggest getting 2m lengths instead of 2 1m lengths. That should provide additional length from each section. Also try asking for a sample to be sent out instead of having to buy excessive quantities. It depends how much you need but I just secured a 1m half pole for £10 which is relatively more expensive but obviously less than having to buy huge quantities.

1 Like

From the same place as OP got his from?

Yes but you could use this strategy anywhere. You should have a good reason to justify the sample eg a small garden project.