What do others do for their day job

I am a doctoral student writing my dissertation on Soviet Koreans and museology. I really enjoy my program and research, but can’t wait to finish up; I am about half-way done, so only a year or so left.

1 Like

Sounds very Kim-centric; I’m a doctoral student as well, but on a Doctor of Education (Ed Leadership) practitioner path (capstone vs dissertation). It’s a long and winding road–enjoy the journey!

Urology tech at a regional hospital. Go around at night placing catheters, going to codes, picking up dead bodies in the hospital. Someone has to do it.
Side job is selling bonsai tools, supplies, and my fertilizer at www.sumobonsaisupply.com

4 Likes

My company specializes in heavy glass construction for residential projects. We do things like frameless shower enclosures, glass guardrails, mirrors, wine room enclosures and some more creative projects utilizing glass. On my business card I’m a glass ninja.
Check us out:

2 Likes

That’s a major repot!

1 Like

I studies jazz as well ar Capilano University. Although I majored in trombone. I’ve been a drummer my whole life.

2 Likes

I’m a tattooer. It’s been almost 13 years now. Been featured in many magazines and numerous books. It’s taken me around the world and continues to bring me to new places. I’ve won awards for various styles and pieces in multiple countries. I owned a very successful shop for many years but have recently slowed it down and started a by appointment only, private studio. Still love what I do and look forward to going to ‘work’ every day!

4 Likes

Cool to see what everyone does… :grinning: Until recently, I worked as business analyst for an American IT company. Currently I’m between jobs (phase of creative reorientation, aka got fired due to reorg) and mostly doing bonsai and climbing. :blush:

Hi guys, very cool to see what everyone is up to. I used to work in the electrical trade when I was living in the states but now I live in Czech Republic, or “The Czech” as Ryan likes to call it :D. My job is to promote Zoner Photo Studio to the English speaking market. For those that are looking to try something other than the Adobe Ps/Lr monopoly, let me know ;).

2 Likes

Something different to literoom? No monthly charge ? Lol. I would like to see what you have

Of course it costs something but it’s more than half the price of Adobe’s photography plan “CC”! You can test it out for free for a month. zoner.com

Hey there, really cool jobs you all have! really interesting to read, I’m a chef by trade but studied an occult career called Gastronomic Sciences in the north of Italy, basically we study all of the disciplines that are related to the food scene, i.e. chemistry, horticulture, crop production, law, philosophy, sociology, anthropology, etc… a bit of a jack of all trades of the food world but on the specific I own a small restaurant in Guatemala City and am currently working on growing organic vanilla as a side gig in a small family owned property in the north of the country.

2 Likes

You can also look at capture one. They have also a non rental version. And I like the processing engine better than adobe (not to mention the interface)

That’s so interesting.

1 Like

I used to be a DJ/Producer, electronic music. Now I work for a tax resolution firm. If you have tax problems with the IRS let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all, cool to read about our backgrounds! I’ve been in the US Navy’s Submarine force for the last 19 years and am about to do one last tour as a chief of the boat on a Virginia class submarine. I have to put my tree in long term storage with my local bonsai garden when I deploy, but it’s worth it! Have a great day!

4 Likes

Just happened upon this thread, really helps me understand folks’ perspectives.
I’m a Biology professor, research focused on ecology and evolution, which explains my often tangential natural history posts and miscellaneous factoids. Happy to be a part of this community :grinning:

3 Likes

It’s really cool to see where everyone is coming from! I’m a software developer in the IT/application delivery space. We like to say we help the internet run :laughing: I love having a job where I can solve problems in my head all day, but when I get home, it’s a nice release to use my hands to work on bonsai or in my garden. I also love the intersection of art and science that bonsai provides us.

2 Likes

Hello from Austria,
I am an air traffic controller at the airport of Graz / Austria. And if
you say, where the hell is Graz, then I would reply that you know
one famous person coming from here
Arnold Schwarzenegger
who was born and grew up here
I‘ve been doing Bonsai now for about 35 years and had to restart
some techniques from scratch, thanks to Ryan and the Mirai team :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Hi Everyone, a vast and varied array of jobs.
I am from England but live in north France where I own and run a fishing lake for carp anglers.
Been doing this now for 18 years, keeps me in touch with nature, what with cutting the trees, grass and generally looking after the grounds.
Been doing bonsai for some 25 years but had a break when I moved to France, gave all my trees away didn’t have the time to look after them properly while setting up the lake. Back into it now for about 5 years at 200% and with all the new info that mirai provides things are moving along very quickly.
A big thank-you to Ryan and all his team and all the subscribers that help on the forum. :wink:

3 Likes