I’m in Pennsylvania…I picked up this campestre today for 10 bucks! I’d like to get it in the greenhouse but would need to chop it. Can I get away with this right now??
Can you wait until leaf drop? I guess the question is why does it need to go into the greenhouse now?
I can definitely wait until leaf drop
I agree with letting it store as much energy as possible before a chop. i have found that they bud all over the trunk when cut back, but I have not cut back as dramatically as you are proposing.
It is hardy in the ground to USDA zone 4 (-30F, -34C) so you might might want to find a spot to put the pot in the ground for the winter and do the cop in the spring. I am in USDA zone 5-6 and they do well in the ground and even in a shallow grow bag here.
I like to do my major chops in the late winter, but my winters are mild. I personally would wait until early spring if possible.