Shinpaku material under stress, slip pot now or no?

Howdy from the Chickasaw Nation Reservation located in south-central Oklahoma, Zone 7. I’ve gotten back into bonsai after a twenty year hiatus and in addition to multiple tropical species I recently added this shinpaku pre-bonsai to the collection. It doesn’t seem particularly vigorous and is under some mild stress. It was last repotted in 2018. I am thinking the issue is the breakdown of some of the soil components leading to water retention. Should I slip pot before it turns cold here? I’ve got a 10" net pot and quality pre-mixed conifer soil.

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

I think it looks okay. What makes you say it’s under stress?

I would recommend leaving it alone, and if water is having trouble percolating, you can try doing a tape dam like in this video: https://live.bonsaimirai.com/library/video/improving-percolation

Browning needles, reversion in places to juvenile foliage. I’ll check out the video.

Oh you said water retention problems, not percolation problems. That video is good for improving water percolation, but if you are holding on to too much that’s potentially a different issue.

Regardless, I’d still wait until spring to repot. Some browning is okay for junipers going into winter, but not dead brown (like I see in some of the pics).

1 Like