I have 3 conifers pushing buds

2 white pines and one hemlock are showing green bud tips??? what should I do?? The hemlock is a new addition and hasn’t been fertilized at all this year, but the other 2 have. Not that it has anything to do with it… or not :flushed:

2 Likes

What kind of hemlock? My western hemlock still has a few lime green tips. I asked someone about them a few weeks ago and said not to worry, it’s what they do. Even in the fall.

2 Likes

I think it is a western. I collected it from the hills earlier this year

1 Like

Hi @sunnspot
What kind of growing season have your trees had? Have they thrived or have they suffered?
We talk about trees being in energy positive, but how long can a plant retain stored sugars and starches? It’s not like gold in a volt, it must have a shelf life? Maybe your trees have not needed to use their store over the summer and they are just expending the excess? Just a theory that I have without any evidence to support it.

1 Like

I don’t think it will be an issue, living on the coast in Stanwood has its advantages. Just protect them If winter temps dip below, say, 25F. Especially cold north winds.They should be fine. Mine do OK when this happens. Im way colder here, inland NW.

1 Like

Well we covered the hemlock but what about the white pines

This time of year?..prefect!

This is bud setup for next springs push.
Your trees are doing what they are supposed to do, no worries. :+1:t2::evergreen_tree::grinning: