First meeting of the Progressive Bonsai Collective in Montreal

Greetings Mirai family. Here’s the first meeting of our study group. It turns out it is supposed to be only a Montreal Bonsai study group but most are Mirai members so to some extent it is a Mirai study group in practice if not in name…

5 Likes

Do you have to pay Mirai for using their name? :thinking:

1 Like

We won’t use Mirai in the name… for now.:slight_smile:

How often do you meet?

1 Like

Yesterday was the first time in person, still to be seen how often we’ll meet…

1 Like

Way to go Rafi! but I don’t see any trees…

2 Likes

I can’t speak for others but I had some copper dust in my fingers from earlier on…

2 Likes

I DO like your workshop setup… I trust that drink is organic…!

3 Likes

Best setup for design ideas… :smile:

2 Likes

It was cool to hear @ryan have so many compliments for bonsai in Montreal on the Artisans Cup podcast. Then at around 44" Troy or @Lime asks if this is where me and my buddies are… Thanks for the plug! As a matter of fact, yes we are in Montreal. We have a study group composed of 7 members, most members of Mirai Live including in addition to myself Matthew Sherman, Etienne St. Pierre, Wilson Livingston, Marc-Antoine Ducas, Alejandro Medina & Miguel Alfaro. We are individually members of multiple societies (Bois-Franc, SBPM, SBPQ) but independent from any of them. Our study group is influenced by Nick Lenz, Dan Robinson, Walter Pall, Masahiko Kimura & Ryan Neil. We are agnostic with respect to style in the sense that we have and like Japanese-inspired pieces but are highly in favour of experimentation and innovation, in both style and presentation (display, containers) and native species to North-Eastern North America. Our group is called ‘ Progressive Bonsai Collective ’. @ryan if you and the crew ever come to Montreal, we must get together, share some beers, BBQ and talk/do Progressive Bonsai.